1769-L33ER connection issue.

samvivi7

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey Everyone,

I am new here and very new to AB (PLC's in general). I trying to download my program to the PLC (its a brand new PLC) using the same set up of a previous 1769-L33ER PLC. I have attached couple of screen shot to make myself clear. I know i am missing a step or a setting but i cant seem to figure it out.
if someone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Sam

path.PNG unnamed.jpg ip.jpg

Ok.
A new PLC. Is it just out the box, or has it been used before?
If brand new, it will need a Firmware upgrade.
If not, there should be a default program/firmware version on it.

What else is on the chassis where the PLC has been installed?
Is it just the processor that is new, or have you changed all the PLC hardware?

The PLC will need a separate Ethernet module to allow the communications, or if it has a USB port on the front, you could download the program using that as your communication path, but you would need to create that in RSLinx.

Thank you guys for such a prompt reply.
its a brand new plc out the box and it has eight I/O cards attached to it. also a separate Ethernet module for communication.

i am going to try jstolaruk's suggestion and use the BootP utility to set the IP address in the processor. will let you guys know how it goes. :)

DO NOT Use ethernet to load your firmware. Use USB. There is a known issue with CompactLogix where you may brick your processor if you load firmware using ethernet. You have to load firmware out of the box before you can download any program to this CPU.

If you are using USB you might as well set the IP address after you have loaded the firmware.

DO NOT Use ethernet to load your firmware. Use USB. There is a known issue with CompactLogix where you may brick your processor if you load firmware using ethernet. You have to load firmware out of the box before you can download any program to this CPU.

If you are using USB you might as well set the IP address after you have loaded the firmware.

Can you provide a link to RA's website to verify this? I do it about once a week and haven't had any problems.

i cannot seem to disable the DHCP and is there a way to verify the MAC address of the processor ?

If you were succesful setting the IP address with BootP, the DHCP feature won't kick in again until power is cycled. You should be able to connect to the processor.

But getting back to BootP, the module will continue sending out requests but in the top window the IP address will be displayed along side of the MAC address. Its only after you see this can you disable Bootp & DHCP.

so i had to disabled my wifi and under TCP/IP(4) i had to set obtain IP automatically

then the correct MAC address of the processor showed up
i was able to set the IP address to the processor but wasnt able to disable the DCHP/BOOTP
i closed the BOOTP/DHCP program.
Restarted the PLC and set IP address, sub and gateway.
i no longer have a big red X on the PLC in RSLinx (i am assuming i good with communication).
But now its asking to update the firmware in Studio5000 when i try to go online

i will try to update the firmware and get back :(

Yes, because its a new processor, when you try to download your project, the s/w will first require you to download the firmware that matches the project. This is normal.