Disconnect or FUSE ???

Orn Jonsson

When installing a new machine on the factory floor, what determines whether the machine should have a disconnect or a fused hookup.

Someone told me that if you could not see the feeding panel from the equipment that you should install a disconnect???

Any standards on this one.....

European way: With every motor have own 'Safety Switch' for main voltage disconnection very near the Motor. SW inludes aux contact for feedback information 'Safety Switch ok.' to PLC or DCS.
SW can locked by 4-5 padlocks. Everybody puts own Name Label whos paflock is it.
Usually we don't use fuses but Motor Circuit brakers with adjustable OL-protection and aux contact for PLC. Contactor Feedback tells also something is wrong, but not when there is not 'Run command'.
I hope understood you question.

Yes there are codes involved

Simple solution, use fused disconect.

When I have partaken of less malt I will attempt to specify the codes.