A/b Slc 500

Johnny Rotten

Might be doing a small job with above equipment. The spec's for the job are to use 'RS 500' software. I would imagine they meant RS Logix 500. Do I own it? Of course not.

Checked some A/B SLC 500 stuff out on EBay. Its not exactly cheap.

I'm pretty comfortable with AD DirectSoft/AD PLC's.

If I take on this job, going to have to get my hands on some A/B hardware and software to have a simulator at home. I would not have it any other way.

Just might be able to persuade the boss to buy the software. I was quoted $1600.00 Cdn. today. Is that accurate?

I've no interest in 'hacked' anything.

What is a good starting point for hardware? An SLC 500 Rack/processor/input card/output card is what I'm thinking. I would think this plant uses Ethernet and not DH+. So perhaps an Ethernet module to 'boot'.

Previous Compactor Project - is working very well. Minor software changes tomorrow to make it more foolproof.
ie - ram forward causes high pressure switch to activate (after 2 days of use)
- 'Bin Full' indicator comes on, ram returns home, machine stops
- OPERATOR DOES NOT 'call in' Bin Full condition (truck pick up), rather hits 'Reset' pushbutton
- machine starts again, and only does one cycle as the damn thing is full and above conditions are same

Going to put operator 'Reset' pushbutton on different input. Will 'OR' this new input with other 'Reset'pushbutton (physically located outside) logic, except resetting a 'Bin Full' condition.

Silly Operators.

Johnny

Last edited:
Look at ABs website or get their Automation Systems catalog.

The SLC comes in several different chassis sizes, 3-13 slots, and there are two different processors you should use, (though they have five), the 5/04 uses DH+, the 5/05 has a built-in Ethernet port. Each processor has a different selection of memory sizes--important to keep this in mind.

Good luck--I think you'll like AB, except when it comes time to pay for it. That can hurt a bit.

Johnny Rotten said:
What is a good starting point for hardware? An SLC 500 Rack/processor/input card/output card is what I'm thinking. I would think this plant uses Ethernet and not DH+. So perhaps an Ethernet module to 'boot'.

Johnny

Power Supply P1, P2, P3, P4 etc depends what voltages you need etc and how many IO you hang off it

Rack 4,7,10,13 your choice

As for the processor then for Ethernet you'll need the 5/05 ranging from 16K to 64 K memory

IO depends what u are used to and use, I personnaly use IB16's or IB32's 24vdc sink input modules and OW16's Relay Outputs. If i need to drive solenoids or SSR's / Thyristors then i opt for the OBP16's

RS Logix 500 with Linx Lite should suit your purpose ok, you can sometimes find registered RS software on ebay for a fraction of the cost of AB prices with the seller being ok to transfer the license to you.....

Take a look at http://wwwdev.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/1239758/

Sounds like you need to check out the plant spec before you start buying equipment.

Don't forget to check out the Micrologix 1000, 1200, & 1500s. Depending on the application, there may be some cost savings opportunities. RSlogix 500 supports them also.

Thanks RSDoran. Will check out plant spec fully. They basically want us to write all software, and hand it over to them after job is complete.

I've no issues with that at all. There are zero schematics. I will have to make them up. I think they asked for a 120V lamp test circuit somewhere. This is a very very large plant.

Wether we do this job or not, I will still go further into the A/B wormhole. One can not avoid it. Love A/B or not.

Back to school soon regardless.

Thanks Johnny

Johnny Rotten. at one of the plants i work at they have a compactor that works the same as the one you described. It used a micrologix.

If you get up to ottawa at all look me up..I have a 500 (not sure what revision)i could lend you for a while..

Darren

If I take on this job, going to have to get my hands on some A/B hardware and software to have a simulator at home. I would not have it any other way.

For your home system you can save a lot if you buy refurbished,
there are several web sites selling used/refurbished SLC equimpent.
I have used this LINK on several occasions, never had any problems.
Comes with a 1 year warranty, and you can get the added protection that using a credit card gives you. You can also take a look at Ebay, lots of used AB stuff there, but no warranty.

It helps a lot if you know the part numbers of the components you're looking for.

Just a thought.

I second hte suggestion that you look at one of the MicroLogix units. You I/O count doesn't seem too high, and you don't seem to need a lot of math in your logic, so one of tehm might be ideal. I'm partial to the 1200 myself, because the cost penalty compared isn't too steep and you get a lot of extra capabilities. You can use an external adapter to tie into ethernet.

If you feel comfortable enough using simulator software you can purchase RS Emulate 500. It may be cheaper than pruchasing a rack, processor and cards.

I see I am not the only one to leap into the arena with Allen Bradley. I have purchased all my items from Ebay in direct competition with PLC-Sales. In the end I ended up with a SLC 500 5/01 and a SLC 5/04. I have began programming once again, after the guys on this site told me how to reset my 5/04 after it locked up. The real meal deal would be the SLC 5000 series, but you need a bank roll to get it. We use it at work and it is very easy to troubleshoot. There are alot more communication capabilities with the SLC 5000. I chose the SLC500 because of cost.

My rack with full of cards cost me $300 and works great. There are others on ebay now for about the same price. You may have to buy your processor seperatly to get your best deal. It make a differance how you search on Ebay. Look for SLC 500 and check back often. Good Luck

Dave

Tom Jenkins said:
I second hte suggestion that you look at one of the MicroLogix units. You I/O count doesn't seem too high, and you don't seem to need a lot of math in your logic, so one of tehm might be ideal. I'm partial to the 1200 myself, because the cost penalty compared isn't too steep and you get a lot of extra capabilities. You can use an external adapter to tie into ethernet.

And I'll third that. The ML family is less expensive, and the ML1200 and 1500 have just as much power as the SLCs. The only drawback is lack of online programming (but the SLC500 5/01 and 5/02 also dont have online programming.) The ML1100 has online programming and ethernet.

However, if you can, look at the Compact Logix. Its virtually neck and neck price competitive with the SLC 5/04s and 5/05, but much faster and way more powerful. The real beauty of it is tag name based programming instead of fixed address programming. You will have to have RSLogix 5000 to program it however - there is a less expensive version that does just the Compact Logix.