Difference bet. RSLinx Single Node & OEM?

ckchew666

Hi,

1) Can someone pls briefly explain what's the difference bet RSLinx Single Node & OEM version, besides Single Node only can pull data from ONE PLC?

2) There is is Fast OPC & DDE support in OEM, anyone knows what is this about?

3) I need the OPC Server option, (copy data to excel from ONE plc), so SIngle Node package should be enough, am I right?

Thanks.

The only difference between OEM and Single Node RSLinx other than the fact that Single Node can only support OPC and DDE interface to only one device is that OEM also supports applications developed for the RSLinx C Application Programming Interface or API.

RSLinx is an OPC compliant data server supporting the OPC Data Access 2.05 specifications. It provides an OPC custom interface for C/C++ clients and an OPC Automation interface for VB/VBA clients. It also supports multiple DDE formats (AdvanceDDE,XL_TBL,CF_TXT) for clients such a Microsoft Excel.

You are correct roelandr2. OEM also supports the C API and allows for multiple topics to be accessed from one or more clients.
In regard to FastDDE - this is a proprietary DDE protocol used by Wonderware. RSLinx Single Node and OEM do not support this protocol. You need RSLinx Pro to get support for FastDDE.

A little OT, but I'm a curious fella.

I was recently told by someone at Rockwell (usually a fairly reliable source of information) that all versions of RSLinx are present on the CD, it's only your activation key that dictates which functions are available to you.
This is the second time I've heard this comment, does anyone out there actually know anything about this or care to speculate?:confused:

🤷

The base code is the same. The features are "turned on" via the activation. The CD media does differ in the likes of RSLinx C SDK vs. RSLinx Pro for example though. I should say, "RSLinx Classic" as v2.50 is known. When downloading from the web site you should download your particular "flavor" to be sure you are getting everything you need.

Before OPC, Wonderware and ICOM (now RSI) developed competing versions of 'accelerated' DDE. Standard DDE is text-based and deemed inefficient for the data transfer needs of SCADA software. They basically compress and encode data into a block that will fit into the standard DDE text frame, send it, and decode and expand at the other end. The two 'ends' would be, for example, RSLinx and RSView.

I think the ICOM / RSI version was called AdvanceDDE. I'm not sure of the current state of affairs, but you used to have to buy an add-on package called RSJunctionBox to enable AdvanceDDE on RSLinx.

It's all just academic these days as OPC works better.

roelandr2 said:
The only difference between OEM and Single Node RSLinx other than the fact that Single Node can only support OPC and DDE interface to only one device is that OEM also supports applications developed for the RSLinx C Application Programming Interface or API.

RSLinx is an OPC compliant data server supporting the OPC Data Access 2.05 specifications. It provides an OPC custom interface for C/C++ clients and an OPC Automation interface for VB/VBA clients. It also supports multiple DDE formats (AdvanceDDE,XL_TBL,CF_TXT) for clients such a Microsoft Excel.

Hi all,

Thx for ur info, allow me to further clarify.

"It provides an OPC custom interface for C/C++ clients and an OPC Automation interface for VB/VBA clients"

Referring to the statement above, does this mean if I want to use RSLinx together with my own self customize software written in VB or VBA (for example data logging software), I must use RSLinx OEM instead of RSLinx Single Node?

If that's the case, what is the purpose of RSLinx Single Node for? Only for RSI OPC use? 3rd party software cannot use it OPC/DDE in Single Node?

Hope someone can clear my doubts. Thanks a lot.

RSLinx OPC and Automation Wrapper

One clarification. The automation wrapper (usable in VB or VBA for example) is not part of RSLinx. You can use the wrapper with any compliant OPC server to create a client application with a programming environment that uses OLE automation.

I usually download the wrapper from a third party, like Northern Dynamics or Matrikon, since the OPC Foundation requires membership to download. Once that wrapper is installed, it allows you to create an OPCServer object in VB. MUCH better than DDE.