Network Diagram Software/Tool

Vlad Romanov

Hi everyone,

A site I work at has been having a lot of network issues lately. As part of the solution, we are to audit the network and provide a path forward as to how we can eliminate some of these.

Is there a tool you'd recommend which would allow us to visually graph or display a plant network? I'm thinking that it would be about 10 48 port managed switches, 20 Stratix switches (6-20 port), some fiber converters, etc.

Thank you for all the recommendations,
Vlad

There are tools out there called Network Monitoring Software that can map & display the network topology, and then track any errors. It's essentially something like a SCADA system for the network. I've used one from Siemens before (Sinema Server), but AB may rebrand something from Cisco as well. There are also plenty of players in the market that focus on the enterprise space that would work just fine for the industrial world as well.

If you just want to draw a network diagram to include in documentation or a presentation, then something like Visio would work well.

Last edited:
FactoryTalk Network Manager from Rockwell does exactly this.

There is even a free version with basic functionality to map out your network. From then on it is licensed per node/switch to get more advanced diagnostics and alarming, but the pricing was quite reasonable from what I remember.