MTS Temposonics R-Series weird comm issues

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have 2 different MTS Temposonics R-Series position sensors being used in a program. Each MTS is tracking a single axis on separate machines. They are each assigned an IP and are WORKING in the program. I did all caps on working because I am receiving position information from both of the rods.

I have several issues with one of the sensors (Sensor #1).

RSLinx does not see the sensor on either ETH or ETHIP drivers. Sensor #2 is visible and recognized.

I cannot ping sensor #1 via CMD. I am getting a good ping on Sensor #2.

I cannot disable BOOTP/DHCP via the Rockwell BOOTP/DHCP tool, even though I can apparently assign an IP. I can't do it via any other tool including RSLinx because it's not visible.

Any time power is lost, Sensor #1 loses it's IP and I'm forced to reassign it. I do not have this problem with Sensor #2.

I have tried using both ports on the sensor, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the firmware is corrupt on the sensor. It seems strange to me that the program is receiving position feedback somehow, but it's invisible on RSLinx.

Update. The new Temposonic is doing the same thing. The ethernet cable for these two sensors are going through separate 1794-AENTR on Port 2. Could a faulty AENTR cause this issue?

Have you tried running BOOTP/DHCP Server while connected directly to sensor 1 with a crossover cable?

I think I have it fixed. There were three different issues.

1. The 1794-AENTR was faulty. When I removed it there were some capacitors broken off inside the module. Thing sounded like a baby rattle.

2. I think this was causing communication issues with the MTS and power/network issues with the AENTR.

3. I was on the wrong network in the BOOTP/DHCP tool the entire time. Once I got the 1794 replaced and fixed my network settings, the MTS took the command to disable DHCP.