Siemens S5 programming help needed

JohnBoy14

Hi, I'm having difficulty with a few things S5 related.

1) I cant seem to get my copy of STEP5 running. I've installed in (windows xp) but when I try to run it, it says

"STEP5 critical error
S5_SYSTEM
Bad S5_SYSTEM path"

anyone know what that means?

2) I want to be able to program S5 modules using this STEP5 software and directly connect my laptop to the module itself. I've been told I only need a cable and the software to do this.
Does anyone have the schematics for the cable? and does anyone have instructions on how to program modules this way?

Thanks

1) what is the versio of your Step5 software?

2)what kind of 'module' do you mean? if you are talking about s5-cpu, and so you need to get tty/rs232 adapter, this one is working well for me
http://www.plcman.co.uk/232_20ma.zip

It's pretty easy, cheap and well-working solution...

P.S. there are also alternatives for the step5 software like pg-2000 etc, but i'm not sure it's helpful for you if you have purchased step5 already, it's not good idea to pay twice...

thanks for the reply

my first question about step5 software has been resolved so I have step 5 up and running.

as for the cable I have been told I need this cable http://www.plccenter.com/buy/Siemens/6ES57341BD20

I know nothing about its internals but i assume that the link you posted would allow me to make my own (is this correct)

I don't understand this part;

"use the plastic sheet as master to obtain your printed circuit
by using photo-sensible boards."

any more help would be greatly appreciated

JohnBoy14 said:
thanks for the reply

my first question about step5 software has been resolved so I have step 5 up and running.

as for the cable I have been told I need this cable http://www.plccenter.com/buy/Siemens/6ES57341BD20

I know nothing about its internals but i assume that the link you posted would allow me to make my own (is this correct)

I don't understand this part;

"use the plastic sheet as master to obtain your printed circuit
by using photo-sensible boards."

any more help would be greatly appreciated

The siemens lead in the link wil do it for you.

The software they refer to is the software you've loaded.

JohnBoy14 said:
i assume that the link you posted would allow me to make my own (is this correct)

yes it's correct, you can mke it yourself if you have some experience (soldering, making circuit board etc).

as for your other question, it's just suggestion how to make the circuit board, you can use your favourite method to make the circuit board,do you have some experience? Or you can also try google to find some good methods...