What type of Pneumatic Valve to Inflate and Deflate Air Spring ( Air Bags) Quickly

Rob S.

I am building a machine , and I have 3 Air Springs ( Air Bags ) that need to Inflate and Deflate very quickly. What type of valve do you recommend , and should I use 1 valve for each air spring ?

Thanks in advance.

the only way to inflate or deflate quickley is to supply and exhaust the air from the Air Bag is to have a large Orifice.
you can get a Quick Exhaust valve that opens as soon as it sees the exhaust pressure.
Hose size is crucial - use larger valve ports also
esentually you need to both supply air volume and release it

I agree with iant. Valve speed will probably not be your most significant issue. It might help to have an accumulator nearby to assist in maintaining pressure during the fill cycle.

For the quick release of air, there are special valves for this purpose.
You place them directly on the cylinder (in you case the airbag) or as close as possible and feed the normal air supply from the pilot valve to the quick release valve.
Air release is much faster than a big pilot valve because there are no hoses (or you have as short as possible hoses) to restrict the air flow.
Search for "Quick release pneumatic exhaust valve".

Form fill and seal machines uses inflated air bags to perform sealing. I have seen them using Wabco valves in the earlier days, but now they comes with Bosch Rexroth, I have been hearing Bosch bought over it.

Only difference of these valves I notice is
- Sturdy plastic body, blue color
- Easily removed from the base with quick release
- Instead of a spool design to switch the port, they was having a diaphragm type, I guess this gives them an edge on how big the orifice can be to fill faster.
- And as Jesper mentioned, they do have big quick exhaust valve close to the air bag. They need those due to the fact to deflate the air bag quickly.
- But not cheap

BTW, the valves were 3/2 way with single port output.

Regards

Last edited: