Mitsubishi Sucks...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Er, rather their programming software.... :D

Here's the deal...

I purchased the GX Developer-FX software as a "package" with a FX-1N PLC a while back when they had a special. It sounded like a good deal for the price, and I figured it would be worthwhile if for no other reason than having the software.

I finally have a use for the FX-1N (the customer requested using a Mitsubishi PLC), and I'm now getting started on the program... I expected a bit of a "learning curve" on things like the naming conventions of bits, words, instructions, etc... I figured THAT part out pretty quick, but this programming environment is more of a "learning U-Turn". The logic for this machine is pretty sraightforward, and would take me maybe a few hours with a different brand. IOW, the program exists in my head, and now I just want to enter it.

Did I buy the "economy version" of the software or something????? :confused: IOW, this software really sucks! :mad:
I hope that Mitsubishi wasn't running that special just to unload some old software thay had laying around :(

This junk reminds me too much of GE's LogicBastard.... It's saving grace is that at least it runs in Windows... :rolleyes:

OK, Mitsubishi fans, tell me the trick to make this software USEABLE... Things like how to edit instructions without having to use the "Replace Device" ****. I simply want to copy/paste groups of rungs, then edit the instructions in the duplicated rungs (i.e. Change "OUT M100" to "OUT M101"). Sooo easy in nearly every other software package. Not so much with Mitsubishi... Just creating a new rung is a chore (to say the LEAST!)...

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by A-B, A-D, and the rest who have U-S-E-A-B-L-E software? Excuse my "venting" here, but I didn't think I'd have to go back to the frikkin' STONE AGE by deciding to use Mitsubishi...

I'm forced to program this thing.... and I will, but I'm hoping someone here might tip me off to the location of the icon that toggles the "USEABLE / UN-USEABLE" bit in this software... Mine seems to be latched in the "UN-USEABLE" state... banghead

Any suggestions (other than switching brands!) would be greatly appreciated. And by the way, Yes, I HAVE read the manuals, and they DO leave a lot to be desired... :p

Thanks,

-Eric

Update:

Update: OK, I figured out how to edit the insructions (using insert/overwrite)....

Pretty lousy editing method I think. If that stupid "box" is on an instruction, double-clicking it should allow me to edit it WITHOUT having to switch to overwrite mode...

AAARRRGGGHHH! This software is going to be the death of me... Thanks Mitsubishi (The "thanks" is sarchastic of course!)

-Eric

What you probably have is old Medoc software converted to have a windows look, but still the DOS based stuff developed in Germany (I think) for Mitsubishi. It's a wonder that this amalgam works at all!

The old Medoc software wasn't that bad for its time, but you have to think in terms of function keys and keystrokes instead of mice and menus, and you have to think in terms of sub-programs and tasks instead of windows and menus.

I don't know if Mitsubishi has updated to a true windows package or not.

I have used this software for a long while and I have always found it easy to use; ( I know many others here use it too) The over-write/insert is set by pressing the [insert key] on the keyboard to toggle on off. shift + insert clears a gap in the logic to put in an extra line in the middle of the logic and Ctrl + insert moves the logic to the right to insert an extra bit to a line.
It is fully windows compatable (But LLT is not compatable with XP pro)
I very rarely use the mouse, you just learn the varous keystrokes for the logic.
I am not a 'my software is better than yours' person but I have always found this to be excellent.

Tip; you do not have to write joining lines between bits. They are done atomatically when you write an OUT instruction. eg Ld X1 OUT Y0

Any more problems Eric, write em here and we will sort ya.

I spend most of my time working on Mitsi's. Having been brought up on the DOS version of Medoc, with my laptop forever crashing in Windows, the introduction of GPP-Win/GX Developer was quite refreshing. The new software kept all of the short keys of the DOS version whilst giving some Windows functionality. Our latest rev of this program is v7.00

Any new applications we have tend to use Medoc Plus (IEC Developer)-which you either love or hate.

Eric,

Sorry to hear about your problems with GX Developer. Please confirm the version you are using ( Detail as you would know is available under the Help menu in the developer software. The current version I am using is GX Developer version 7.01b ( SWD5C-GPPW-E ). The problems you have referred to in your comments are not an issue in this version.

Would like to assist, if possible.

regards

Sentry

And I have version 5.00..... :(

I bought this "new" from Mitsu a while back, but it couldn't have been more than a year ago! I guess my idea of "unloading old software" wasn't so far fetched after all... :rolleyes:

I'm (FINALLY) almost done with this project, so it doesn't really matter BUT.... I'd like to have the most recent revision (or at least something a little closer)... How can I go about upgrading? I don't see any updates on their website...

Thanks guys!

-Eric

Dear Eric, as a frequent Mitsu User, I must admit that this software stayed in the box for a full year before I let go my MEDOC (DOS based) programming software and used it on a dayli basis...

Know I really thought it was OK.

Thats before I started teaching local technician how tu use it.

OUCH! There is so many things that are not windozzed correctly that the trainning I give is 50% on how to get to the wright place and use the wright keys.

I have to agree on your statements. Mitsubishi software does suck.

Yes Pierre, "not windozzed correctly" describes it exactly. I guess I though since it WAS a Windows program, it would function as one. In reality, it's simply a DOS program with icons... :rolleyes:

I took your advice Goody and, after starting the program, stuffed my mouse behind my monitor so I would not be tempted to use it.
Voilà!, (pronounced "walla" in English)
beret.gif

it is now much more useable. Much more concentration required, but useable...
comp2.gif

-Eric

beer8.bmp