Moving AOI's from one project to another

iggy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a way to move multiple AOI's from one project to another all at once.
All I can see is to export one at a time and import them one at a time.
RSLOGIX 5000 v.20

Thanks

I think this will work......

Create logic that uses the AOIs you want to export. The logic doesn't have to verify. Just throw one of each instruction into a routine.

Export the routine and it will also export the AOIs.

OG

Each has its own function block, so either way it would take some time.
I just ended up exporting each and importing them. I was just looking to save some time, thanks for your responce.

I'm 99% sure that you can also select multiple AOI's and drag and drop from one program to the other. Why can't you select multiple AOI's and export? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rung export is the best way to transfer AOIs.
This will create all datatypes and include all nested AOIs as well.
It will also bring Message instruction configurations, if AOIs use them.

I tryed that, it did not work for me.
I just dragged and dropped 15 AOI's from one project to another. Tested from v29 to v29, and from v29 to v24. What version are you working with? It could be a feature that was added in a later revision.

I just dragged and dropped 15 AOI's from one project to another. Tested from v29 to v29, and from v29 to v24. What version are you working with? It could be a feature that was added in a later revision.

Just looking for clarification. Did you "drag and drop", or copy/paste? On our system (RSL5K v20) copy/paste between programs does not work, so I use export/import.

Bubba.

I am using version 20. I tryed the copy and paste and drag and drop neither seemed to work for me.
Thanks again for all the respones.

Just looking for clarification. Did you "drag and drop", or copy/paste? On our system (RSL5K v20) copy/paste between programs does not work, so I use export/import.

I am using version 20. I tryed the copy and paste and drag and drop neither seemed to work for me.
Thanks again for all the respones.
Okay, okay, now you've got my curiosity all worked up!

Copy/paste and drag/drop both work for me as early as v17. It’s important to note that you have to drag the AOI’s onto the Add-On Instructions folder itself, or click on the Add-On Instructions folder before pasting.

v16: AOI’s first introduced with no ability for drag/drop or copy/paste
v17: Drag/drop and copy/paste of a one AOI at a time is possible
v26: Ability to select and drag/drop or copy/paste multiple AOI’s added

Note that while the ability to select and copy multiple AOI’s was added in v26, earlier versions do not have the ability to paste multiple AOI’s. If you drag/drop multiple AOI’s from a v26+ project to a v24- project, only one AOI will actually be copied.

I tryed it again and it did not work at first, for some reason when using 2 monitors if you have one project on one screen and one project on another it will not work, but if I put both on one screen it worked... weird.
I Could only do one at a time but it is good to know I can do it.
Thanks again.🍻

Okay, okay, now you've got my curiosity all worked up!

Copy/paste and drag/drop both work for me as early as v17. It’s important to note that you have to drag the AOI’s onto the Add-On Instructions folder itself, or click on the Add-On Instructions folder before pasting.

That was my problem. I was trying to go straight to a rung with it. Thanks for the help!

Bubba.

Glad to be of assistance! Not working across multiple monitors is something I would never have thought to check. I wonder how that even happens? Seems to me it'd be harder to make it *not* work in that manner, than to just have it work as you'd expect!

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it trying to do the same thing (transfer AOIs from one project to another). Both projects are v30. I was using VMWare in Unity mode with the two project windows on different monitors. Drag-drop didn't work. Once I exited Unity and had the projects on the same monitor, it worked as expected. I also tried to drag-drop from a v34 project to v30 and it worked fine with the project windows on the same screen.

Interesting...