Red Lion Data Station DSP raw ports

Bob73

I'm attempting to use a Red Lion Data station for the first time using crimson 3. While I find mapping data from one device to another (using device specific drivers) fairly intuitive, I'm at a total loss on using raw ports.

Specifically, I have a micrologix connected to the RS232/PG port with the DF1 protocol. I'd like to send string data from the PLC to a RAW TCP/IP port. Where to start with this is throwing me a curve.:confused:

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I don't think I phrased my question sufficiently. This being my first go-around with a Red Lion data station, my question is more related to the data station than incoming data.

What I'm trying to accomplish is something like this... Make the data station monitor a string address in the PLC and send the contents of this string address to a remote system via raw TCP/IP port when the address contains something other than null.

Based on looking at data station programming instructions, this seems like it would be easy enough to code in a complex code tag. What I'm not understanding is how to trigger the code in such a tag to run at some interval.

I don't think I phrased my question sufficiently. This being my first go-around with a Red Lion data station, my question is more related to the data station than incoming data.

What I'm trying to accomplish is something like this... Make the data station monitor a string address in the PLC and send the contents of this string address to a remote system via raw TCP/IP port when the address contains something other than null.

Based on looking at data station programming instructions, this seems like it would be easy enough to code in a complex code tag. What I'm not understanding is how to trigger the code in such a tag to run at some interval.

May I ask why you are using Raw Port rather than another protocol? Just trying to verify that you are doing this the easy way. I may be able to help you with Raw Port or any other method, but I'd like to know this first.

I'm using the raw port because I'm trying to communicate with a remote data collection system that is custom. We communicate to it by sending messages to specific TCP/IP ports.

I'm using the raw port because I'm trying to communicate with a remote data collection system that is custom. We communicate to it by sending messages to specific TCP/IP ports.

It is fairly simple. Raw Ports for Sending data requires your remote system to be listening for data that is "Sent" though you could configure it to only send based on a specific "Received" command. Can your remote system just "Listen" for data?

I need to send a message to the remote system. The remote system will reply. I need to put the reply into a PLC string as well.

I need to send a message to the remote system. The remote system will reply. I need to put the reply into a PLC string as well.

OK, no problem. This would be easier if you have a DSPSX rather than a DSPLE. A DSPSX gives you the ability to easily call a program to handle the Receive. I'll give you the DSPSX solution here. I think I can also help you if it HAS to be a DSPLE later.

Without all the bells and whistles, to transmit, you use PortPrint to send a string to the appropriate TCP Port. The Port itself should be configured as TCP/IP Active.

Again, without the bells and whistles, you set up a second receive port that is set up as TCP/IP Passive. On Update, call a Function that uses PortInput to extract and then uses code to Parse the data. I have written on that is only around 20 lines that can receive either a String or Integer. I have control of the Send Syntax and the Received message Syntax so the parsing is very easy.

Does this point you in the right direction or do you have a specific question?

You may have touched on part of my problem. I ordered a DSPLE (out of data station ignorance), so I really need to use the unit I have if possible.

I understand the programming commands (aka port print) but am uncertain how to make them execute. Maybe the best question, is how to make the code in a complex tag execute based on a PLC condition.

You may have touched on part of my problem. I ordered a DSPLE (out of data station ignorance), so I really need to use the unit I have if possible.

I understand the programming commands (aka port print) but am uncertain how to make them execute. Maybe the best question, is how to make the code in a complex tag execute based on a PLC condition.

The more I think about it, the more I think you will have to have a DSPSX at a minimum. You don't really have the ability to call code based on an event (Tag Value Change for instance) when using a DSPLE.

I'm sorry, but I think we need the right tool for the job. Maybe someone has another idea, but I have done this 4 or 5 times with G3xx displays and with DSPSX units, but I don't have any record of trying to do it with a DSPLE.

Thanks, your answer is the conclusion i've started to come to, but I'm a total newbie with these, so I was hoping there was something I was missing.

May I ask why you are using Raw Port rather than another protocol? Just trying to verify that you are doing this the easy way. I may be able to help you with Raw Port or any other method, but I'd like to know this first.

Hi,

I almost have the same issue like this one and since you have done it before I hope you can help me with my issue

Recently I have upgraded G3 Redlion HMI to CR300010 for my automated system . The original database has been used Raw TCP/IP Active port which use portprint command to transmit data and Raw TCP/IP Passive protocol which call a function on update which used PortInput command to receive data.

my original database created using crimson 2.0 and it is working just fine, however I go the issue after converting the database to crimson 3.1

database suppose to send and receive data to third party (pc) which has a program that is set to send /receive data to/ from redlion HMI

for some reson currently my HMI CR300010 Can only receive data from the third party but it can not send data.

I am not sure what is the reason and hoping if you have any suggestion to guide me throgh investigating this issue.

Appreciate your response in advance

1.jpg 2.jpg