Panelview Communications Setup

dkucukar

Hello all!

After banging my head against the Panelview for a few hours yesterday, I guess it's time to ask for help..

Hardware
Panelview Plus 1600
1756-L73S ControlLogix

After trying to update my working panelview file with a new one, I replaced the communications in my download and now cannot get my PLC to talk to the panelview.

I followed the communications setup process from the other forum questions and still have not had any success. I first set my path in the Design (Local) tab tested one of my displays while online with the controller and it works great on my computer. Then I copied my design path to runtime, created a runtime file and downloaded with "replace communications" checked in the transfer utility. The new file then loads into my Panelview but it looks like the communications path is still wrong. I'm thinking that somehow the obsolete path that I accidentally loaded last time is not being overwritten correctly when I download to the panelview.

Please help if you can! Thanks!

Sounds like you're doing it right but did you make sure the changes done in communication setup were actually saved? Sometimes everything appears OK but you've not been given any confirmation to save your changes. If so delete the device shortcut and do it again, double checking addresses in the runtime tab.

It is a weird system, I'm convinced I've done everything right but comms won't work. I delete the shortcut and do it again and everything is fine.

I've found that occassionally when I set up the comms in RSLinx Enterprise, I forget to click the "OK" button and just close the window. It gives you no prompting to make sure you want to do that without saving, so if you close the window without clicking OK it won't save it. Check your RSLinx settings again and see if the Design settings actually got copied to Runtime. Other than that, is it possible the network on the Panelview is not properly configured? That's not part of the project and must be set up on the terminal.

I've found that occassionally when I set up the comms in RSLinx Enterprise, I forget to click the "OK" button and just close the window. It gives you no prompting to make sure you want to do that without saving, so if you close the window without clicking OK it won't save it. Check your RSLinx settings again and see if the Design settings actually got copied to Runtime. Other than that, is it possible the network on the Panelview is not properly configured? That's not part of the project and must be set up on the terminal.

I think that you are right and I insist that we need to check always the runtimetable before creating the .mer file

So I got it to work, no idea why it did work but whatever.

I loaded a runtime file from a Panelview Plus 600 onto my Panelview plus 1600 that was having troubles with. The Panelview Plus 600 is on the same networka and has the same desired communcations path as my larger panelview. It was able to update the communications path correctly and had commuication with my PLC. I then loaded my runtime file that was supposed to be in the panelview plus 1600 without replacing communications. That came up without any errors.

Looking at both files (I recovered both using application manager), the runtime tabs in the communications setup are exactly the same.

I'm gonna throw this one up to a bug in the system. Just makes me feel a bit stupid but who cares! It works now!

🍻

So I got it to work, no idea why it did work but whatever.

I loaded a runtime file from a Panelview Plus 600 onto my Panelview plus 1600 that was having troubles with. The Panelview Plus 600 is on the same networka and has the same desired communcations path as my larger panelview. It was able to update the communications path correctly and had commuication with my PLC. I then loaded my runtime file that was supposed to be in the panelview plus 1600 without replacing communications. That came up without any errors.

Looking at both files (I recovered both using application manager), the runtime tabs in the communications setup are exactly the same.

I'm gonna throw this one up to a bug in the system. Just makes me feel a bit stupid but who cares! It works now!

🍻
The next bloke who checks replace communications like most of us often do is going to love you! I won't pretend I don't understand your frustration though.