Suggestions for remote desktop software?

the origenal question was remote desktop
if all you want to do is remote desktop then the windows will work fine your windows security will do the job
but a better solution would be to create a VPN network to network then you would have direct access to upload and download directly to the PLC or the HMI as you need
Install one of these at each site
http://advantech-bb.com/product-tec...ntelligent-gateways/smart-hardware/smartflex/
you still need to set up port forwarding on the site internet router and then set up the VPN on the smart flex gateway
this way you don't need to install the programming software on the site PC so licensing is not a problem
You clold even VPN all the sites together and form a network of all the sites with a single access port the options are almost unlinited

Still a lover of LogMeIn Pro. (I use LogMeIn Central due to amount of customers I have.) No end user action required, just connect from your end through LogMeIn site

I'm not to sure if this is a good solution but It was here when I started and have learned to adapt and use. We have several IPEPS adderlink ethernet KVM's. they use the VNC viewer software, You can run it from PC's and mobile
devices. No monthly fees just the initial IPEPS cost. I think it was chosen as there is no IT support on site and relatively easy to setup.

If you are using a Windows environment, look at having your IT department set up Microsoft RD Gateway. I believe it's a standard role for most Windows server versions, and doesn't require additional licensing.

From there, connecting from a remote PC or phone is very simple. The Android/iOS Remote Desktop app is very good, and the desktop experience is nearly the same as if you were on a local network but doesn't require the use of a VPN.

No end user action required, just connect from your end through LogMeIn site

Hey Nathan, so your customers do not need to load any software and you can control their PC's? I need to see and control the mouse on my customers PC... configuring a driver, DOSBox, RSlinx, etc. is easier and a lot faster by doing it on their PC then I only need to have them plug everything in.

Hey Nathan, so your customers do not need to load any software and you can control their PC's? I need to see and control the mouse on my customers PC... configuring a driver, DOSBox, RSlinx, etc. is easier and a lot faster by doing it on their PC then I only need to have them plug everything in.

After LogMeIn agent is installed on customers computer (they are given a link to go to get LogMeIn agent).
Now you can log into their computer through LogMeIn portal. No response needed at all from remote computer.
You have complete control of the remote device. It is just like you are in front of it.
They can also turn off LogMeIn agent to prevent you from coming in.
File transfer....drag and drop or copy and paste.
Chat... yes.

Now.... from this thread I found SplashTop. Which is a lot cheaper and it appears to do the same thing.

I use TeamViewer. Works well, its free for personal use and the default is you need to open the app and provide the pin to the remote person that needs to connect. It's gives the family peace of mind. I help maintain computers thousands of miles from me. You can connect from windows, Linux, Mac, or chrome. There is a mobile client as well but I haven't tried it.

I use TeamViewer. Works well, its free for personal use and the default is you need to open the app and provide the pin to the remote person that needs to connect. It's gives the family peace of mind. I help maintain computers thousands of miles from me. You can connect from windows, Linux, Mac, or chrome. There is a mobile client as well but I haven't tried it.

Team view is getting stricter at detecting "corperate" machines :cry:

Using Teamviewer.
For the comercial use you only pay for the client (that would be you, the one connecting to the computer that is to be remotely controlled).
On the remotely controlled computer you use Teamviewer Host which doesnt cost anything to use. So if you have one or a few persons that do 'remote support' and 100s of customer to support, then it is a cost effective solution.

Remote Desktop is a pain when you do not have an ultra-fast connection to the remote computer.
edit: Remote Desktop blacks out the local screen. That can be a a huge disadvantage, either because the local people dont like to suddenly become "blind", or because the reason you are accessing the local computer is because you want to show the local people something on the screen.

Last edited: