connecting S5 siemens with UniStream unitronics

tzvihanan

Hi !
i need to connect 2 plcs . S5 Siemens to > Unisream of unitronics .
my idea is to do RS232 by the I/O .
Meaning to use 1 output from the Siemens connected to input in unitronics -as Txd of the RS 232 , and to connect 1 output of the unitronics to Siemens input = as Rxd of the RS 232 ,
i need help how to programming the 2 PLC to send and receive according to RS 232 protocol,
any assist will be appreciated
tziki

Which S5 PLC? If it is possible to add Profibus to the S5, you can use a protocol converter from Profibus to a protocol that UniStream PLC can use... such as EtherNet/IP or
MODBUS TCP.

Though you should upgrade the S5 PLC to S7... or maybe even a Unitronics, if you want.

I think people are misreading this. (Or I am) according to the post he wishes to connect digital I/O between the units & use RS232 protocol not really possible at speed and not practicable but protocol converters are the way to go or even upgrade as S5 is obsolete
o_O

Hi!
Here is an example for S7 written in SCL by 'Thomas_V2.1'. Maybe you can extract some ideas.

https://www.sps-forum.de/simatic/57960-digitale-temperatursensoren-313c-2dp-7.html#post419478

Kalle
That is interesting.
But one must realise that it simple transfer of an array of CHARs. There is no error checking, parity bit, CRC or like that.
One could add some error checking in the data that is being transferred. But again, how should the Unitronics panel be able to interpret it ?
I dont know Unitronics, but I am guessing it supports some wellknown serial protocols, such as Modbus RTU, AB DF1 or like that. How can it be able to interpret a home-grown protocol i dont know.