Virtual machines

pm me and i will give you a link to my google drive.
But, I highly recommend using Oracle virtual box over vm ware. Vm ware doesn't seem to work as well as Oracle, especially when it comes to video resolution.

Well, for me it was the updates thing. I can't have my daily driver on the net without security updates, so I just use a vm with the internet disabled. I have no issues with that. Plus, I honestly think the linux desktop has came so far. I really think it is a much, much better experience than windows at the moment.

pm me and i will give you a link to my google drive. Tempting but I say no

But, I highly recommend using Oracle virtual box over vm ware. Agreed

Vm ware doesn't seem to work as well as Oracle, especially when it comes to video resolution.
I think they fix the problem in their latest version v15

What? no mention of VirtualBox? It's a rocking solid product for doing VM. Best of all, it's FREE.

I would only recommend virtualbox to people that are "tech savy". The reason being is it needs the extension pack to be useable (which I don't recall if that is free for corporations) and virtualbox and USBs isn't straight forward. It has a lot of issues around 1.0/2.0/3.0 and using multiple USBs at a time.

Don't get me wrong, I've used it for years and VMware is what I started on. VirtualBox is great, but if you don't understand what you are doing and need plug and play. Don't use VB.

I use both, including kvm-qemu-libvirt and find them all quite good. VMWare just works for me with the least hassle, and I find that 3D acceleration is actually much better under VMWare than virtualbox, though there could be tweaks that make it go the other way around.

I run all of my design software on Linux. It does quite well. VM's for whatever software I can't run natively. Works like a charm. Not to mention that VMWare on linux has shared RAM, which is a HUGE benefit in my opinion.

this is a pretty interesting approach. was it difficult to get it all setup and working?

I run all of my AB software in a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM, Workstation Pro 14, and it runs like a rocket compared to any of the other VMs ive made over the years with W7 or W10.

this is a pretty interesting approach. was it difficult to get it all setup and working?

I run all of my AB software in a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM, Workstation Pro 14, and it runs like a rocket compared to any of the other VMs ive made over the years with W7 or W10.

Especially if you already have VMs set up, not bad at all. I went with debian on my desktop and kubuntu on my laptop for the drivers. Of course, graphics offloading can be a bit of a problem for intel/nvidia laptops, but they just released a driver to handle that.

I chose Plasma as a desktop environment. It is light, stable, and functions really well and fits the work flow I was used to from windows. Windows key --> search to launch applications. In addition, It took all of 10 minutes to find the global shortcuts and set them up to what I was used to. Plus most of the KDE applications do really well.

As far as office, I still have MSOffice on a VM if I need it, but I have not used it in forever. GPU passthrough, USB passthrough and bridged networking are fine. No issues with passing an ethernet port directly through to the VM either. I used LibreOffice on windows anyway. I never made all that complex of documents. View-->User Interface-->Tabbed gives me a comfortable interface I'm used to. There are a few differences with how things like page numbers are implemented, but overall I prefer it to MSOffice because it doesn't quite have all the clutter right up front from so many features.

I get better performance in the VM, and I can update the VM whenever I'm ready. I've disabled updates and windows defender in gpedit. I also went and set the machine to performance mode and set the desktop to a solid color. I'm fine with all of this because it isn't connected to the internet, so when I'm doing other stuff, I can just set the VM to update.

I think that about covers the bases. Also, if you have 2 drives, one having enough space, you can use clonezilla to make a copy of the drive you run your OS from, install linux, try it out and see how it works for you. You should be able to get your VM's working in an hour with a bit of google-fu. Then, you can use clonezilla to restore it in a few minutes. I was trying out different distros on my laptop with a 512 SSD and 1TB SSD and it took less than 5 minutes to do a clone or restore.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses. Busy at work and forgot about this thread till now. I have to use VMWare because that is what my company uses. After doing some digging, it turned out that a previous employee at my company had already set up a Win 7 VM. I was able to copy it onto my laptop and boot it up successfully but have not had the time to install any PLC software on it yet.