RSLinx problems...

Rob.Hill

I'm trying to download/ go-online a micrologix 1400. Software in use:

Win 10 64 bit host machine
Win 7 SP1 32 VM machine
RSLogix 500 v9
RSLinx classic v4.11

I've configured the ethernet devices driver and pointed it to the PLC. The PLC appears briefly, then gets a red cross through it. Then it re-appears and the cycle continues.

Things I've tried:
1. make sure can ping PLC - obviously
2. deleted harmony files in rslogix
3. updated EDS from Rockwell.

Things I should mention:

this is a series C plc v21.
The original programmer downloaded a series B rslogix 500 project (v9).

I've checked the port 44818 is open - which it is.

I'm going around in circles without making much progress. Any help - much appreciated!!!

Thanks
Rob

Thanks for suggestion. Tried various cables and taken out any switches -got down to just a straight connection between plc and laptop...

How about installing RSLinx on the host machine and see if the issue still remains, then you will know if its your VM or host

At this point, I'd be looking to see if this is an Ethernet connectivity issue or an RSLinx one. Have you run a continuous ping between the machine running RSLinx (virtual and physical) and are you getting 100% reply's? For those who don't know how to run a continuous ping, from the command prompt, type: "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t" (where xxx... is the IP address you are pinging). A "CTRL C" will end the ping.
It's also worth noting, and I have no idea if this is just me or if others see it, but I have much better luck when the IP address scheme on both the physical and virtual machines are the same. You have to be careful not to duplicate address but I have very good luck with connectivity that way.

At this point, I'd be looking to see if this is an Ethernet connectivity issue or an RSLinx one. Have you run a continuous ping between the machine running RSLinx (virtual and physical) and are you getting 100% reply's? For those who don't know how to run a continuous ping, from the command prompt, type: "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t" (where xxx... is the IP address you are pinging). A "CTRL C" will end the ping.
It's also worth noting, and I have no idea if this is just me or if others see it, but I have much better luck when the IP address scheme on both the physical and virtual machines are the same. You have to be careful not to duplicate address but I have very good luck with connectivity that way.

Yep - had a constant ping running - no dropped packets - even when running ping from the VM. Thanks

I don't use vm, but I have similar issues with a couple of my older machines.
If I try to go online with the machine, while already connected to the PLC wifi, I can not connect to it. I can ping it, I just cant go online. If I open up my program while on the corporate network, or one that has internet access, and then switch over to my plc network I can connect to the device.
It doesn't make sense, but that is what happens.

Finally got rslinx working on the host (needed some windows updates to make work...). Its a little better - but still showing same sort of issues...:mad:

I've nipped out to get a serial cable...

Yep - had a constant ping running - no dropped packets - even when running ping from the VM. Thanks

Two questions, first, why Win 7 on a Win 10 machine?
Second, is this a laptop and if so have you tried disabling the WiFi? Win 10 likes to push everything Ethernet through the WiFi connection first and it might be stepping in and causing issues with RSLinx. You might also try looking at the driver's diagnostics (in RSLinx) and see if you're getting errors and if so what kind. This one gets a little more complicated but you could put a laptop with Wireshark (and a dumb hub) on the remote end and see what the received packets look like. Maybe somewhere in the jump between the host machine and VM the packets are getting corrupted. If you want to get real fancy you could run Wireshark on both ends and compare what a packet looks like when it leaves RSLinx to when it's received on the other end.
Last thing to come to mind (for now) is try disconnecting the PLC's Ethernet connection while running the continuous ping. You might have a duplicate IP address. RSLinx would get some packets from the PLC that would be appropriate and others from the other device that wouldn't be. I've seen (done) that one before and I got similar symptoms, the PLC would "come and go" within RSLinx.

Finally got rslinx working on the host (needed some windows updates to make work...). Its a little better - but still showing same sort of issues...:mad:

I've nipped out to get a serial cable...

I have had similar issue, only way I could resolve this was to use Bridge my network connection.

FWIIW - When I had this issue, downloads to PanelView Plus via Guest VM would do 1% per 10 seconds, very slow.

Once I switched to Bridge connection, the PV Downloads were few seconds.

In Bridged, I give my guest a static IP and then the host is IP+1.

Two questions, first, why Win 7 on a Win 10 machine?
Second, is this a laptop and if so have you tried disabling the WiFi? Win 10 likes to push everything Ethernet through the WiFi connection first and it might be stepping in and causing issues with RSLinx. You might also try looking at the driver's diagnostics (in RSLinx) and see if you're getting errors and if so what kind. This one gets a little more complicated but you could put a laptop with Wireshark (and a dumb hub) on the remote end and see what the received packets look like. Maybe somewhere in the jump between the host machine and VM the packets are getting corrupted. If you want to get real fancy you could run Wireshark on both ends and compare what a packet looks like when it leaves RSLinx to when it's received on the other end.
Last thing to come to mind (for now) is try disconnecting the PLC's Ethernet connection while running the continuous ping. You might have a duplicate IP address. RSLinx would get some packets from the PLC that would be appropriate and others from the other device that wouldn't be. I've seen (done) that one before and I got similar symptoms, the PLC would "come and go" within RSLinx.

So things changed...

I got it working (mainly be fixing the ethernet speeds on the laptop and PLC to 100mbs half duplex instead of auto negotiate).

I did try wireshark, but I'm by no means an expert on it. Things looked ok from as far as I could tell (port 44818 being utilised.)

I did try the constant ping and the PLC was def the only thing responding on that address.

Then to throw a spanner in the works - work designated that I needed to be on 2 sites at once - hence using my VPN to support the one we are talking about above.

It nearly works - but not quite. I can go online to the PLC and do online edits - but if I try and do a complete download it fails...

Network connection good both ends (30mbs +) but its as though a bottle neck is occurring somewhere??

I might give it up as a bad job!

I have had similar issue, only way I could resolve this was to use Bridge my network connection.

FWIIW - When I had this issue, downloads to PanelView Plus via Guest VM would do 1% per 10 seconds, very slow.

Once I switched to Bridge connection, the PV Downloads were few seconds.

In Bridged, I give my guest a static IP and then the host is IP+1.

Thanks for this. I did try it and it made an improvement - I'll be bearing this in mind for future work!