Siemens License not found

lunenburger

First off, I have always worked with Alllen Bradley PLC's and this is my first time working with Siemens....

We are upgrading a windows 7 computer running Simatic NET v8.2 SP1
To a windows 10 computer running Simatic Step 7 Professional V13 SP2

We have transferred the licenses from the windows 7 computer to a Siemens dongle, and are using that dongle in the windows 10 computer.

When we open the license manager on the windows 10 computer, it sees the licenses and everything looks good.

I am not sure of the process after that, but we open tia portal to search for the PLC but it says no devices found.

If we try to add the PLC manually by model number it says that the step 7 license is not found???

I can ping the PLC through cmd and it is there, do you have to set up a driver first in tia portal like in RSLinx? if so I can't find where that is??

Any direction would be greatly appreciated....

So I'm assuming we downloaded the incorrect version of Simatec?

Where would I find the download for Simatec Net version 13 SP2 ?

And would the version 8.2 SP1 license work with 13 SP2 ?

I have always had to open ALM and move the license needed to the C hard drive to have it seen.

Then, after you are done check in ALM to make sure it is not still In Use. If it is reopen and close TIA - sometimes more than once to get it to check OK, then transfer it back to the USB drive.

Another problem sometimes is if there are a lot of licenses that it takes longer for ALM to check them than for TIA to open, and TIA reports no license found and closes.

I have looked on the Siemens website, and I can't figure out how to download Simatic NET v13 SP2???
Anyone have any experience downloading software from Siemens website.
I thought Rockwell's website was bad for downloading software....

1) If you call your Siemens rep or local distributor, they can almost certainly help you out with a copy of the installer, especially if you are ordering an upgrade license. For export or due to 3rd party licensing restrictions (usually Microsoft), certain software apparently isn't available for public download.

2) For the record, TIA Portal is more or less the equivalent of RS Studio, whereas Simatic Net is more along the lines of RS Linx (at least from the perspective of someone who works primarily with Siemens stuff)

If I get this right you have a PC with Simatic Net installed and Step7.
Simatic Net is not the same licence as Step 7 Simatic Net is a communication program and needs a separate licence, however you should be able to use Step 7 if the licence is installed assuming you have one supplied with the Step 7.
also when you say Step 7 I assume you mean TIA. This has in-built communications probably a stripped down version of Simatic Net very much like Linx, it comes with the IDE, however some functions like OPC are disabled unless you upgrade to professional (well it used to be).