Creating barcodes to scan to access drawings and spare parts

bendanator

Hello everyone,

I searched the form thinking this has been a question before but I guess not. What I’m trying to do is create metal tap barcode I can stamp to the equipment and technicians can scan the code for drawings and store parts. Goal would be to somehow label spare parts also to its location in our storeroom for quick access and to scan out right way during work. Feel this would save technicians a lot of time. Has anyone every done anything like this themselves? Would love to scan the pdf of drawings, and add excel file of parts for that machine and location if possible. Thanks for any help this would be a big win if I could get this done.

Thanks
Ryan

What will users be "scanning" the barcode with ?

There are certainly big maintenance and inventory and document management systems that do this. Intellischematic is the one I've dealt with.

2-dimensional QR codes are a very common way to encode a URL link. Every smartphone has a QR reader app that can decode and follow a URL with the device's browser. My Android phone recognizes when the Camera app sees a QR code and gives you the ability to follow the link shown in it.

If you have a document server that smartphones or tablets or laptops can get to, then anything that's accessible with a hyperlink can be linked to with a QR code.

Example:

QR_Example_PLCTalk.png