D100 Programing Cable (Cat 5 Looking)

W8WCA

Hello all.

I have a D100CRA14 (the small d100) and a D100CPM232 RS232 converter - (for one computer to one PLC as I understand the manual)

Now I need 2 things:

1) What is the pinout of this cable?
One place here I found said pin 1 to 8 pin 2 to 7 etc
Kind of reversed ends

2) Can I use a Std 25 pin to 9 Pin RS232 adapter?

I made up a Cat 5 cable with the above wiring, and used (what I think) is a std 25 pin to 9 pin RS232 adapter.
And cannot connect to the PLC

I tried it in programing mode as the manual said and in both halt and run positions, still could not connect.

I do not recall having any issues connecting WAY back when I got this, but I did have a PC with a 25 Pin RS232 back then , and I had the stock "cat 5' looking cable

Thank You,

Charlie Alexander

For question 2, it "should" work.
Also you need an older computer with a REAL (not USB adapter) Serial port, running Windows98SE or earlier software. I prefer an old 486 desktop personally. I have emailed you a copy of the interface and cable. You should be able to connect in "RUN" or "HALT" because you can monitor in "RUN". It must be in "HALT" to write (program)the plc.
I hope that helps.
Sid

Last edited:
Thanks Sid:

Well I am running it from a AMD 1.6 Gig Laptop. from a RS232 9 pin port.
I run DOS6.22 on it.

I was just wondering if the RS232 converter needs power from the COmputer - many laptops cannot run some converter type RS232 deals - they do not seem to have enough power from it.

ill give a try from a Win98 desktop at home.
Or from a old 486 Laptop to home

More wil follow.

Charlie

Can I get the cable diagram as well. I have the same issue without a 25-pin serial port. I am going to try to use a 25-pin to 9-pin adapter for now. But may need to make a new cable. Any information for the cable to the D100CPM232 ver A2 would be great.

Can I get the cable diagram as well. I have the same issue without a 25-pin serial port. I am going to try to use a 25-pin to 9-pin adapter for now. But may need to make a new cable. Any information for the cable to the D100CPM232 ver A2 would be great.
A standard 25 to 9 pin adapter should work for the computer side. Also, do a search on the forum for keyword "d100" (without the quotes).
See this thread (post 10 and 11) for the "RJ-45" connector type cable.:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=8115&highlight=d100