AB 1746-HS module - IMC 110 motion controller

raj

R
Dear Sir,

One of my customer has Morey make milling machine from canada.
It has AB SLC 5/02 processor with three nos. of 1746-HS module (for X, Y, Z axis). Servo drive/motor are from Indramat.

One of the module (1746-HS) LOAD led is blinking. When i refered to the troubleshooting sheet it says that"AMP parameters are not loaded". But this machine has been running for a while and why does this message appear.

Also i donot have the full manual. I tried to search for some information about this 1746-HS module in AB manuals website and also AB Knowledge base.
TO my surprise i could only find information about 1746-HSRV module and could not find a manual for 1746-HS module. Is this module being replaced by HSRV module.

How can i program or load these AMP parameters. I understand that 1746-HS module uses MML or GML programing software to program the module and only HSRV module can be programmed with RSLogix 500.

I thought that i should replace HS module with HSRV module. But where can i find the AMP parameters for this module.

I uploaded the program from SLC processor but i donot find any info about HS module in that except I/O configuration.

How should i proceed now.
1. Replace HS with HSRV
2. Or load AMP parameters into HS. With what software and is that software still available?

Many thanks

AB CNC 8600 GP

Dear Sir,
where can i find info about AB CNC 8600 GP.
We have a machine from Springfield machinary. It came with AB 8600 GP Now it doesnot work and when we contacted our machine supplier their answer was 8600 GP is no more. Its a huge machine and we realy donot understand why they donot support. They are not willing to change the control or provide an alternative. Now we are left to do the replacement our self. The drives/motors are from Indramat.

Should we replace it with the new 9 series version or altogether change it to fanur or semiens. I think AB does not do much on CNC and also donot support product as they support PLC. we hardly find a AB engineer for motion controller.

Any suggestion would be highly help full.

Many thanks Mr.Gerry for the links.

What software should i use to configure the 1746-HS module.

I uploaded the program in the SLC 5/02 CPU.

I have 3 axis and only one card is showing "No AMP parameters loaded".
which software should i have to use to upload these parameters from other functioning card.

And what are the parameters thats programmed in this card. What kind of software do they use here.

I have with me GMC version 3.9 and GMC commander version 4

Sorry i havenot yet read those manuals.

Many thanks

As you will learn when you have read the manuals, the programming software is called MML (stands for Motion Management Language, I think) and the AMP parameters are the basic axis configuration for encoder scaling, gains, etc.

MML is a text programming language with a syntax that appears to be a cross between Basic and Pascal. It runs under DOS and is not very user-friendly or intuitive.

You should be able to obtain a copy of the MML package from A-B service people, but you'll also need the MML source code for your application for it to be of much use to you.

GML is no use in your situation.

IMC 110

If the axis motor and movement types linear / rotary are the same as one of the other axis cards then you could upload the amp from it and download it to the card that lost it's amp. "AMP parameters are not loaded" error you'll probably have to replace the battery in the IMC 110 card.

so hsrv doesn't need any ODS (MML) programming software right? can be configured using RSLogix 500.

BTW, a rockwell personel told me that 1746-HS is still available and not obsolete, any confirmation from you guys?

The actual programming is known as ODS and the file format is MML, correct me if i'm wrong.

Many thanks

I am thankfull to Gerry and LEN. Sorry i did not post back.

I bought 8100-HS110 Offline development software Release 1.03.

We had problem in Y-axis (no amp parameters)

I uploaded X-axis, Z-axis and compared the paramters. All parameters were same. The Y-axis Drive is also of same rating.

So i download my X-axis parameter into Y-axis card and the card worked.

The morey milling machine is now working and i am really happy and thankfull to every one of you who helped me.

To ckchew666 -> when i contacted rockwell about 1746-HS spares. they told me that they have only around 2 pieces in their stock. So HS is already dead and the only replacement is HSRV.

Also as the machine was working and i had the backup of X and Zaxis parameters i thought of playing around the software.

Then i thought of uploading MML programs and just to see that.

X-axis drive did not have any MML program in it. But Z ad Y-axis drive had some MML program.

It got uploaded into my PC and thats all. I could not open it.

I donot have any source disk.

Also i thought that i am unable to open it because i did not define any text editior in my ODS software.

Can i define Notepad as a text editor to view this file or is there any DOS text editor which i can define.

The other thing is that this software works only in(DOS present in) Windows 95, 98 and NT computers. So i had trouble finding these computers. Or any DOS above 3.0

Many thanks

Please need help on a AB 1746-HS

can someone send me the manuals for the 1746-HS card, and alos tell me where can I find the software to communicate?

Thanks in advance