DeviceNet Network connect with 1747 SDN

Buscom

Hello,

Please I need help!

I want to realise a DeviceNet network with: the 1747 SDN , the 1770 KFD and the CDN 066.

I have a deviceNet cable witch is connect by the 1770 KFD directly to the 5 linear pin of the 1747 SDN.

After make the configuration of the driver in RSLinx, I observe that the 1770 KFD recognize the CDN066 in the network but, don't recognize the 1747 SDN and have an error code 91. (bus off)

I have read the 1747 SDN user manual and they say that the red wire of the 1747 SDN must be at 24 VDC. I have meseare the voltage between the red wire and the black wire of the 1747 SDN and I found 12.5VDC.

Otherwise, I have read also the datasheet of the 1770 KFD. and they say that the voltage that the 1770 KFD give out is about 12VDC.

Please, I want to know how can I supplied the DeviceNet power of 1747 SDN at 24 VDC while the 1770 KFD give out 12 VDC?

Thank you.

DO NOT attempt to use the DC power jack on the 1770-KFD to provide power to the DeviceNet network. That is not what it is for.

Provide power to the DeviceNet bus from a separate, properly sized and selected 24V DC power supply.

This is a very basic principle of how DeviceNet works.

I'll add some details about that 1770-KFD power supply.

The idea is that you could plug in just the 1770-KFD and a small device like a sensor or motor starter, then plug in a little cord-connected power supply tot he side of the 1770-KFD.

In practice, the circuitry inside the KFD cannot provide enough power for more than one additional device. I never use that power connection.

Your 1747-SDN may be showing a Bus Off (91) error because of the speed mismatch between the SDN and the KFD or the CDN066.

Or, it may be showing Error 91 because the power is right on the lower edge of what DeviceNet can run at.

In theory, DeviceNet nodes can run on about 15V to 25V DC. In practice, 19V to 24V DC is ideal.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for your replay :)

Please, what is the name of the small device like a sensor or motor starter that you said that I could plug with the 1770 KFD?

I thing that the problem of the Error 91 that I have is because the power witch coming from the 1770 KFD to the 1747 SDN is right on the lower edge of what DeviceNet can run at.

I have a 24 VDC power supply in my workshop, but I don't know how I can shunt the 1770 KFD too it, because the 1770 KFD produce a 12V at his DeviceNet output.

Please, can you show me an exemple of a correct DeviceNet connection with the 1770 KFD and the 1747 SDN?

Thank you

Do not connect a power supply to the round side connector of the 1770-KFD.

Instead, install a +24V DC power supply that will power the DeviceNet network. Connect it directly to the red (+24 V) and black (0 V) wires of the network cable.

DeviceNet_Power.jpg

Ok, thank you Ken, by looking the draw in your attach file, I think that you have the good solution to my problem.

I will test it tomorrow in my office,

Thank you very much :)

Hello ken,

I have make like you have describe in your draw but, there a problem:

When I remove the power supply to the round side connector of the 1770-KFD and install a +24V DC power supply witch is Connect directly to the red (+24 V) and black (0 V) wires of the network cable like in your draw, the led "module status" and the led "network status" of the 1770 KFD doesn't light. there is only the Led of the others component light. but, no any led of 1770 KFD light.

I think it is because the 1770 KFD must be supply before it can work.Please, what do you think about this? so, how can I put the 24V DC suplly so that the 1770 KFD also light please?

Thanks

I have used the 1770-KFD without the side-connected power supply thousands of times.

I don't know if the power switch next to the side connector is specifically for the side-connected supply or not. I don't have a KFD nearby to test.

I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Typically you just connect the 1770-KFD to power and at least one other DeviceNet device, and then you can configure the RSLinx Classic driver.

Ok, thank you for your replay,

I think that it can be I don't turn the power switch next to the side connector. I'll try again.

So, you are sure that the 1770 KFD can be supply and configure in RSLinx without his 9V power supply round side, just by put a 24V DC at his DeviceNet 5 pin?

Thanks

So, you are sure that the 1770 KFD can be supply and configure in RSLinx without his 9V power supply round side, just by put a 24V DC at his DeviceNet 5 pin?

Yes, I am absolutely sure.

Hello Ken,

You are right, the 1770 KFD operate in RSLinx without his 9V power supply, just connect the 24 VDC on his devicenet pin.

I think the last time it doesn't work because i forget to push his "On" buttom and I have correct it.

So, it is correct now