Cable for programming PLC-2

lllerena

Can anyone help me?

We are AB integrators in Lima-Peru, even thought I need to comunicate with a PLC-2 and I do not know how. We only program PLC-5, SLC and Contrologix (we are young) It is supposed to use the PLC-programing software (AI?) that I have, but what about a software 9323-L2300D Is this the iquivalent of a Rslinx? maybe I have it, but, how can I built the cable?. I know the cable is a Db9-DB15 cable, but did anyone have the pinout?

thanks in advance,

Luis

You need A.I. 2. And it only runs in DOS. Forget it with NT or XP. In win 95 you must start the computer in DOS mode to run it--the DOS window won't work. The cable is a "smart" cable. That is, there's a convertor built in. You can also use an old KT card to communicate with the 2. AB has the pinout from the KT to the 15 pin connector.

there is a module for this

'back in the day' we used a rack-mounted module,
like a 1771-KG or 1771-KH or 1771-KE21, I don't
remember which, to get into the PLC2's front
panel connector.

Of course, you still have a software issue, but,
ONLY a software issue, at this point. You don't
need to go find a 'smart cable', at least.

Next I'm gonna get me a toga, and a lantern, and I'm gonna get a place up in the hills where nobody's around.

A couple of warnings and clarifications.

1. A disclaimer; I'm not a PLC-2 expert... I'm too young to have used them in the field and they were obsolete when I started working for Rockwell.

2. The AustGlobal program is terrific, but take a close look and you'll see it only supports the PLC-2/20 model of controller. This was probably the least common PLC-2 out there; I have seen mostly PLC-2/30 that have survived this long. As far as I know, AustGlobal does not support the 2/30, 2/05, 2/02, 2/15, 2/16, or 2/17 controllers.

3. AI-2 software is still available from Rockwell, but is VERY expensive. For better or for worse, this intended to provide incentive for upgrade to PLC-5, SLC, or Logix.

4. AI-2 will support the 1784-PCMK card and 1784-PCM2 cable for PLC-2 front-port communications, but ONLY in DOS and Win95/98 DOS mode. Any AI product that runs in Windows NT/2000/XP will need RSLinx, and RSLinx never had a PLC-2 front-port driver for the PCMK.

5. I don't think the RSI "Smart Cable" is sold anymore; AustGlobal's Smart Cable is supposed to be a direct replacement. It's almost certainly the best way to get online with any PLC-2.

My advice to guys who just need to upload and/or convert a single PLC-2 system is always to go find somebody who has already done it and subcontract them for the project. I have never seen somebody justify the software, hardware, and learning curve to upgrade or maintin just one obsolete controller.

PLC-2

What type terminal or module are you going to use to communicate with the PLC-2? To communicate directly from a KT, KT2, KL, KTP to the PLC-2/30, the only cable that I know of is the 1784-CP2.

The 1784-CP2 is a 62 pin D shell to a 15 pin D shell.
The pinout is (62 pin); (4)-1, (5)-2, (7)-3, (6)-4, (26)-5, (27)-6, (47)-7, (48)-8.

I have worked a good bit with the PLC-2/30, I will help where I can.
It's been a while.

Roger