Simple way of Loading a relatively large data table ? (Micrologix)

mike64b

Hi I've got a Micrologix 1400 and I'm using RSLogix 500 micro starter. Basically, my application required about 200-300 integer values that will be used to for setting motor positions.. Is there any simple way of entering these as data files (N8:0-255 for example) for use? Doing a COP for each one seems like a huge waste of time and space...

I hope I am just over looking the correct method of doing this and someone can enlighten me.

Thanks,
Mike

What exactly are you wanting to do?

Are you referring to entering the initial values into the data file?

Or are you referring to moving data from one file to another file? A COP instruction will copy all of the words from one file to another in a single rung, so I am not sure how you see it as a waste of time and space.

WAG: I think the OP might be under the impression that his ladder program must MOV a value into each data table element he uses. This is not the case. PLC logic is not required to populate any of the data tables.

You can simply open the data table window, set the number of columns as you wish and the radix, and then just type them into the actual addresses. Save the program, and those values get saved with it. Download the program, and those values get downloaded with it.

If you are looking for a faster way to transfer the data into the PLC data tables, you will likely need a licensed version of RSLinx which will give you DDE/OPC connectivity and the power to "send" a whole spreadsheet full of data to the PLC.

Last edited:
Yes I actually meant entering the initial values into the data file (N7:0 set to 55, N7:1 set to 21, etc setting those integers ) .. I also made a mistake by saying COP, I actually meant MOV (moving a constant into a data file).

Another way you can get data pre-entered into a program file is to create the data file in Logix500 and then export the program as a .SLC library file.

You can then open the .SLC library file with a text editor or word processor, find the data file definition, and then cut/paste the numbers in. Save as a text file with a .SLC extension and then open the .SLC file in RSLoigx500. Then save it as a .RSS file.

Look at the attached example file. The file is a .SLC library file (text) export of a blank ML1400 program. If you open this file you'll see a section marked with the label Data N:10:0, followed by values 0 to 255. I opened an excel spreadsheet and filled 10 columns by 26 rows with sequential numbers. Then selected the data and copied it. Then with the .SLC file open in notepad I pasted it right under the N10:0 label replacing the 256 zeros that was there. I saved the file as a text file with the .SLC extension and opened it in Logix500. Then opened the N10 file and all of the values were there. I've attached it as a .txt file so if you want to try it out change the extension to .slc.

You will mainly find this useful if you already have a long list of values to enter from a spreadsheet or other document from which you can cut/paste.

For a single data file one by one entry doesn't take all that long once you sit down and just get to it.

You may want to take a minute to open the file properties and click help, then follow the link to the create file dialog help and read up on protecting files as static, and memory module protection, etc.

Last edited:
Hi I've got a Micrologix 1400 and I'm using RSLogix 500 micro starter. Basically, my application required about 200-300 integer values that will be used to for setting motor positions.. Is there any simple way of entering these as data files (N8:0-255 for example) for use? Doing a COP for each one seems like a huge waste of time and space...

I hope I am just over looking the correct method of doing this and someone can enlighten me.

Thanks,
Mike

Is their any pattern to the data such that it could be calculated using a few rungs of code and indexed addressing?

Another way you can get data pre-entered into a program file is to create the data file in Logix500 and then export the program as a .SLC library file.

You can then open the .SLC library file with a text editor or word processor, find the data file definition, and then cut/paste the numbers in. Save as a text file with a .SLC extension and then open the .SLC file in RSLoigx500. Then save it as a .RSS file.

Look at the attached example file. The file is a .SLC library file (text) export of a blank ML1400 program. If you open this file you'll see a section marked with the label Data N:10:0, followed by values 0 to 255. I opened an excel spreadsheet and filled 10 columns by 26 rows with sequential numbers. Then selected the data and copied it. Then with the .SLC file open in notepad I pasted it right under the N10:0 label replacing the 256 zeros that was there. I saved the file as a text file with the .SLC extension and opened it in Logix500. Then opened the N10 file and all of the values were there. I've attached it as a .txt file so if you want to try it out change the extension to .slc.

You will mainly find this useful if you already have a long list of values to enter from a spreadsheet or other document from which you can cut/paste.

For a single data file one by one entry doesn't take all that long once you sit down and just get to it.

You may want to take a minute to open the file properties and click help, then follow the link to the create file dialog help and read up on protecting files as static, and memory module protection, etc.

Neat Trick.

Apparently I missed a few replies here... First of all I tried the trick you mentioned with the slc file but unfortunately my rslogix micro starter edition does not allow me to save as a .slc file..

Also unfortunately the data table is not calculatable without a significantly large program .. looks like ill just be entering them by hand, thanks though!

Edit:I also made a mistake in that I have a micrologix 1200 not 1400.