Adding Ethernet ability to existing DH485 SLC 5/03

lunenburger

Currently we have a SLC 5/03 processor talking to a Panelview 550 via a 1747-AIC DH485 Link Coupler.

Network I Have.jpg

What we want to do is add the ability to go online with the processor with our shop computer via our ethernet.

Network I Want.jpg

We have tried unsuccessfully with a Prosoft MVI46-DFNT, and now I am thinking of using a 1761-NET-AIC coupled with a 1761-NET-ENI

anyone have any thoughts on the network setup???

Thanks in advance..

NET ENI translates DF1 <> ethernet/ip only, it does not understand DH485 at all. You can only plug RS-232 into it and of course ethernet cat5.

So in one end goes Ethernet/IP on cat5 and out the other end comes DF1 on RS-232.

The rest of your network speaks DH485 over RS485 connections. The NET AIC+ can electrically bridge RS-232 to RS-485 in fact that is pretty much what it is for, but it does not translate the protocol at all, so although you could create a valid electrical connection all the way from your devices to your NET ENI and nothing will burst into flames, you will still be missing something that translates DH485 to/from DF1 so that your NET ENI can translate the DF1 into ethernet.

I don't know of any device that might do that, but I think it will be the only thing that will stop you.

In a recent and similar network change I was involved with, because of similar walls you will encounter DH485 was discarded altogether, but this involved replacing all the HMI with new ones.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=81750

Last edited:
Yes... thanks Branded... I somehow thought the NET-ENI was going to be able to convert DH485. Problem is tougher than I thought.

And thanks Bernie,
I talked to tech support at Equustek, and they say that the EQ7000 will do what we want. Our main goal is to be able to go online with RSLogix over ethernet.
They also offered a money back guarantee if we are not 100% happy with the EQ7000.
Hopefully we can get a purchase order together soon and I can post some results....