Would you like to tell me how to configure 1771 I/O with Controllogix on controlnet .

You will have to use Block transfer instructions. The Rockwell documentation explains it well. I will look for the PDF and try to attach later.

mort81,

You would only need to use Block Transfer instructions for analog or speciality modules. For discrete I/O modules, once the I/O Configuration is successfully completed, there will be Controller Tags created for both Input and Output data, which may be directly referenced, or alias referenced from the program(s).

souviknaskar,

Do let us know if any of the distributed I/O modules are analog, etc.?

Have you done anything yet or are you just doing preparatory work before proceeding?

You should have a ControlNet Bridge module (CNB, CN2) in the local chassis with the 1756-L71 processor.

Are you saying that you have one distributed 1771-A2B 8-slot chassis with one adapter and 7 x I/O modules? (I think this is what you mean?)

Or are you saying that you have 7 x 1771 chassis' with an, as yet, undisclosed number slots and I/O modules per chassis? (I want to be sure you don't mean this?)

For "a" distributed I/O rack, you should have a 1771-ACN15 ControlNet adapter module. Under the "I/O Configuration" section, in your project for the 1756-L71, you add the 1771-ACN15 adapter module under the 1756 ControlNet bridge module and then under the properties for the ACN you assign its name and node number. The node number of the ACN is configured via its rotary switches. Here, you also assign the Input and Output data sizes for the I/O modules that are under the control of the ACN adapter.

These sizes are determined by the type of modules being used and the "slot addressing" dip switch settings for the distributed chassis. For instance, if using 16-point discrete modules and the chassis is set for 1-slot addressing, in an 8-slot chassis, then you would set both the Input and Output data sizes to 8 x 16-bit words each.

Once the I/O sizes are configured and applied, the Module-Defined Controller Tags for the discrete I/O modules will have been created. For the Input data you should see a Module-Defined tag which will contain a "RackStatus" DINT, an "InputGroupsValid" DINT and the actual Input data in a 16-bit integer array. For the Output data you should also see a Module-Defined tag with just the Output data in a 16-bit integer array.

If you are using any analog or speciality modules then it will get a bit trickier with the Block Transfer Messages. But we can cross that bridge if and when we get to it.

When you add or reconfigure devices you will have to re-schedule your ControlNet network using RSNetWorx for ControlNet. Assuming you also have this software?

I think that's enough to get you going. Any more questions just fire away.

Regards,
George

GeoSpark,

I am having trouble with BTR BTW messages to 1771-N series module through 1771-ACNR15. Discrete I/O working fine.

Can you repost : (or link to pdf)
21609 - Block Transfer message from ControlLogix to 1771-ACNR15
Access Level: Everyone

It must be on TechConnect level now or it was removed.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you - Got through to RA account

But nothing new there. I am still getting connection error:

16#0000-0203 Error Processing Connection Related Service

For this connection, the I/O size in the 1771-ACNR15 config does not have to be changed, correct?

It most likely is a BTW/BTR configuration error or a 1771 CNet chassis Rack 'size'/addressing issue.

The 16#0000-0203 Error is an 'Extended' (general) type one; there should also be a 'Local'(specific) stated Error.

More information about your system and what your intentions are would greatly improve the chances of getting useful help here.

Sorry - More info is always helpful...

-I am running Softlogix 5800 1789-L60 V21 on a test stand using Studio 5000 V21
-On that Virtual Backplane is a 1784-PCICS/B.
-On controlnet is a 1771-ACNR15/B in a 1771-A1B 4 slot chassis. (labelled "rack1" using 1 slot addressing)
-In Slot 2 is a 1771-OW16 that is working just fine
-In Slot 3 is a 1771-NT1/B that I am trying to send BTW config (59 words) and BTW Reads (28 words)
-All appear as "OK" in the RSNetworx for CNET with both the 1771- modules labelled as "Unable to Scan" because the device "cannot return it's online status"

However, when executing the BTR or BTW, they timeout and give me a Error Code 16#001f with an extended error code 16#0000-0203. "Error processing Connection Related Service".

I have checked the message config and associated tags/arrays. Communication on each message has a path to "Rack1" using controlnet to group 0 slot 3.

-The 1771-ACNR15 is configured with 4 words In and 4 words out. - That was my question above - does this need to be increased based on the size of the message being sent? The 1771-ACNR15 appears to be running in Studio5000 but returns an Internal State as "Self Test" on the Module Info Tab when getting the I/O Tree / Device Properties

Thanks in advance

CNet on SoftLogix is something I have to encounter yet, even on a test rig...:D.

You will probably have to include the BTR/BTWs data transfer within the CNet schedule; I presume you've originally scheduled only the 1771 Discrete IOs since they apparently 'work'.

Associate the BTW/BTR containing Logix Designer application with the relevant RSNetworx for ControlNet file then Re-Schedule the CNet network.

The 1771-ACNR15 is configured with 4 words In and 4 words out. - That was my question above - does this need to be increased based on the size of the message being sent?

Upon further considerations and frugal homework, I am afraid you will not be able to fully use the 1771-NT1 Analog Input module in your 1771-ACNR15 chassis since the Logix Designer 1771-ACNR15 module connection limits are 32(16 bit) words of Input and 32(16 bit) words of Output.

You are already using 1 word of Output data for the OW16 module so you are left with 31 words while the 1771-NT1 requires 59 words for full configuration capabilities; the BTW/MSG works contiguously hence you will not be able to 'pick' individual words.

The Input assembly seems to be fine since the 1771-NT1 BTR/MSG needs only 28 words to retrieve the channels' data.

Increase the 1771-ACNR15 module Input and Output assemblies' sizes to maximum (32), Re-Schedule and try it as such; the 1771-NT1 default configuration should give you some limited functionality.