1756-ENBT IP address setup

Mark@GBW

Hi everyone. I'm trying to give a new 1756-ENBT module a fixed IP address. I've plugged in to the module directly from my pc and ran BOOTP-DHCP server, the software has detected the MAC id of the module so I've selected it to give it an IP address. In the properties box I've given it the fixed IP address I want and it's moved to the relation list panel below. However when I go to click the disable BOOTP-DHCP button it always says "failed to perform operation".
I'm trying to build a DH+ to Ethernet bridge, so there isn't a CPU on the chassis to connect that way, there's only a 1756-DHRIO and 1765-ENBT.
Everything I've done is step-by-step from the Rockwell user manual for this device but I can't get it to disable BOOTP. Does anyone have any ideas?

Go to RS links and open a Who window. Find the card in the tree in the lift hand pane and right click. Select Module Configuration then select the Port Configuration tab. Here you will be able to disable BootP. "failed to perform operation" is very common with BootP

When you set the IP address, did you set it to a different subnet than your PC? If so, afetr changing the ENBT IP, change your PC IP address to match the ENBT subnet, connect via BootP, and then disable BootP

Usually bootp has a problem if you have more than one network adapter. It works best with only one network adapter.

Disable all the adapters that the module isn't on.

In windows, go to the network connections window, right click on the adapter and select "disable".

You can re-enabled back after bootp disabled DHCP successfully.

Go to RS links and open a Who window. Find the card in the tree in the lift hand pane and right click. Select Module Configuration then select the Port Configuration tab. Here you will be able to disable BootP. "failed to perform operation" is very common with BootP

+1 for this method - much simpler than running up BOOTP, waiting for the MAC broadcast (the delay between them escalates after power-up), then setting an IP....

You'll often want to go into the module properties -> port configuration anyway to setup Subnet Mask, DNS addresses etc., and to configure it (or check it is) as Duplex, Auto-negotiate speed.

I find the most convenient method of configuring ENBT's is to just put them into an empty slot in a chassis I can already talk to, use RSLinx to browse to it across the backplane, and setup the port configuration there. Make sure you disable BOOTP/DHCP on the module before unplugging it from the chassis. 1756 modules are hot-swappable (RIUP).

Even easier on the EN2T and later, they have the USB port to talk directly to the module.