Connecting to a 5/03 and a 5/04.

HoldenC

Today I was trying to upload the logic from a SLC500 system. I worked with 2 processors and I had the same results with each of them.

I was using this cable here: (and this is the first time ive used it)
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-usb-1747-cp3-1756-cp3-slc-5-03-04-and-clx/

First of all I used a db9 female to female cable because the cable i bought had a male end, and so does the processor.

However, when connecting to the processor, Auto-Config keeps failing to find baud rate and parity bit.

What am I doing wrong ?

Should i just buy a gender changer plug to put on the PLC cable instead of the db9 to db9 cable ?

Today I was trying to upload the logic from a SLC500 system. I worked with 2 processors and I had the same results with each of them.

I was using this cable here: (and this is the first time ive used it)
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-usb-1747-cp3-1756-cp3-slc-5-03-04-and-clx/

First of all I used a db9 female to female cable because the cable i bought had a male end, and so does the processor.

Are you adding another cable to the one you bought? I believe I have one of those and it should plug directly into the SLC channel 0. If you can't plug it directly into the CPU channel 0 due to length, add a straight cable. If the cable you are using is just a regular USB to serial converter, then follow OG advice and use a null modem adapter and if necessary a gender changer.

Other reasons it may fail:
1) wrong com number (check device manager, make sure RSLinx driver settings match the COM number shown for your USB converter)
2) Windows driver problems. The first time I used a cable from PLCCables, I had a problem with the Windows 7 64 bit driver included on the mini-disc. I emailed Mark and he promptly replied with a link to the better driver.
3) RSLinx driver problems. Make sure the DF1 driver is configured to the right COM number and shows a status of RUNNING. Also, some USB to serial converters don't play well with Auto-configuration. PLCCable devices have worked well for me with my Dell laptop.
4) SLC serial settings. Maybe both of those SLCs you worked with have something other than DF1 Full Duplex settings. If they are set up for DH485, ASCII, Modbus or some other setting, you will have trouble "getting in".

After I posted this I went out to dinner, and the null modem thing dawned on me.

However, knowing you said the same thing eases my mind about ordering an adapter though.

Hopefully you, or someone else can help me with this. Will a null modem cable , or a null modem adapter accomplish the same thing ? Im thinking that adapter is the same thing, just minus the length.

Are you adding another cable to the one you bought? I believe I have one of those and it should plug directly into the SLC channel 0. If you can't plug it directly into the CPU channel 0 due to length, add a straight cable. If the cable you are using is just a regular USB to serial converter, then follow OG advice and use a null modem adapter and if necessary a gender changer.

Other reasons it may fail:
1) wrong com number (check device manager, make sure RSLinx driver settings match the COM number shown for your USB converter)
2) Windows driver problems. The first time I used a cable from PLCCables, I had a problem with the Windows 7 64 bit driver included on the mini-disc. I emailed Mark and he promptly replied with a link to the better driver.
3) RSLinx driver problems. Make sure the DF1 driver is configured to the right COM number and shows a status of RUNNING. Also, some USB to serial converters don't play well with Auto-configuration. PLCCable devices have worked well for me with my Dell laptop.
4) SLC serial settings. Maybe both of those SLCs you worked with have something other than DF1 Full Duplex settings. If they are set up for DH485, ASCII, Modbus or some other setting, you will have trouble "getting in".

The cable i ordered has a male end,and the SLC500 also has a male end for programming. So, i put a straight through db9 cable with female connections on both ends to make the connection. I didnt need the extra lenght, but I needed the right orientation.

I found print off of the logic for the system im working with. It states the connection parameters, but it just still gives me a error about not being able to find the baud rate, or parity bit.

Sure. Here is a photo i took of the page. I may be a tad off now that Im looking. One states User, and one States System.

Here is it though.

20170609_201810_001.jpg

They sent the wrong one to you.

Not this time :)

HoldenC I take it you are Michael ? just got to your email this AM we went to the baseball game last night... 🍺 had a blast

I just checked your last order and you order a RS232 adapter https://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/ , this is used for many things it changes your USB to a male RS232, I think this is the cable you are trying... and yes you can use a null modem or a crossover cable with this cable and connect to your SLC

You can send that one back if you want a refund and buy the CP3 or.... send that one back and buy the link below and you will have the best of both, you can also just buy the second link below and that you can use with the adapter you have to connect

A good complete set https://www.plccable.com/usb-allen-...-pm02-plc-programming-cable-kit-usb-1756-cp3/

or buy this and add it to the cable you have https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-20-inch-1756-cp3-1747-cp3-si-slc-controllogix-compactlogix/

Let me know if you need anything else

Mark

Well, It seems I have embarrassed myself.

Im going to order that complete set of cable right now. IM not going to return the cable i bought, I don't like returning items that were purchased out of my ignorance.

Ill just use it as a backup usb to rs232 cable for my Cisco routers and switches.

Thanks so much for the help. Ill go crawl in a hole somewhere now.

Well, It seems I have embarrassed myself.

Im going to order that complete set of cable right now. IM not going to return the cable i bought, I don't like returning items that were purchased out of my ignorance.

Ill just use it as a backup usb to rs232 cable for my Cisco routers and switches.

Thanks so much for the help. Ill go crawl in a hole somewhere now.

LOL... if thats the worst thing you do then you will be just fine and I have some stories about myself (y)

Your order is on the way and you should have it Monday or Tuesday

Thanks again!

System would be the one you will talk to it through. kinda curious why the baud rate is so low though? i have had great success connecting through serial, and the od time i cant i use plccable's dh485 adapter. in fact the only time ive needed dh+ is the od time on a anelview where the serial connection is only setup for printer so you have to go in dh+
hope this helps you.

DwSoFt said:
...kinda curious why the baud rate is so low though?...

Hi Dan,

Just a quick post to apease your curiosity...

I've posted this info in a previous thread...

Geospark said:
...Once defaulted all modular SLC controllers go to DF1 Full Duplex for the bottom Channel 0 RS-232 port. The baud rate, however, will depend on the controller model and which firmware revision it's at...

SLC-5/05 CH0 - DF1 Full Duplex 19.2k Baud, N, 8, 1, CRC
SLC-5/04 CH0 - DF1 Full Duplex 1200 Baud, N, 8, 1, CRC
SLC-5/03 CH0 - DF1 Full Duplex 1200 Baud, N, 8, 1, CRC

The SLC 5/03 at OS302 FRN 11 and the SLC 5/04 at OS401 FRN 8, or greater, will also default to 19.2k Baud...

Whichever of the two SLC controllers the printout refers to i.e. the 5/03 or the 5/04, it is most likely that the Controller OS FRN is somewhat older and the Channel 0 communications port is at its default setting, which includes a baud rate of 1200.

Regards,
George