Siemens help v5.4 installing on a windows 7 64bit

stu

Hi guys
I have s7 v5.4 sp5 on an old Xp laptop which I need to put on a newer laptop I have a windows 7 64 bit laptop which I would like to use,
Is the software compatible with a 64 bit or do I need to up date ?
And how easy is it to install on win 7 thanks Stu

64-bit support came with v5.5 SP1.

Alternatively run STEP7 in a VM with a 32-bit OS. A modern PC is so fast (especially with SSD) that STEP7 Classic runs more than fast enough in a VM.

If you can I would update, I have found a few issues with the newer cables and 5.4 so depending on your interface you are using its going to be a headache, the newer drivers are built into 5.5 so its not an issue.... if your CPU is PN than you should be fine with the 5.4

How about TIA? I dont know its more or less money but if everything is compatible then you may want to think about switching

If you decide to upgrade, then look on the bright side.
If you upgaded a month ago you would have missed v5.6 which most importantly has Windows 10 support. Then to get to Windows 10 you would have had to upgrade one more time.

I have just been informed that we have Tia software for another machine would it me easier to migrate the software to Tia ?

Even if the CPU is compatible with TIA, you should be aware of this if you want to migrate to TIA.
You can make a test on migrating the STEP7 Classic projekt on the PC with TIA. But you will possibly have to update the modules in the HW catalog to the latest versions, which in turn may mean you may have to load the HW konfiguration in the S7 CPU.
Also, before migrating the STEP7 Classic program has to be run through a consistency check without remaining issues. That may result in that the code has to be loaded again in the S7 CPU.