SLC5/03 (RJ-45) to Panelview 600 (D-9) DH-485 comm cable

I'm in :)

Wasn't trying to overcorrect.. just wanted to redirect for future readers of the thread.

Last edited:
I asked Julian in a PM if the discussion cleared things up. He was still a little hazy.

We are dealing with 2 different issues.

One is the electrical means of carrying a message. These methods, in this problem, are RS232 and RS485. If you go to Wikipedia on both you'll have more than enough to understand they are electrically very different and cannot be directly connected, at least by ordinary wire, so that a signal on one can be carried on the other. (Think an ordinary telephone and a CB Radio - am I dating myself?) It takes and electronic interface at best. (I know some have faked an RS485 interface from RS232 using only wire but it's not good and can tend to blow things up.)

The other is the protocol (think language, let's say English and Chinese).

With effort you can get any protocol to work on any electrical means of carrying the message, but it can get messy. Think of using either English or Chinese on a telephone or the CB Radio. The combinations are ok. You could even hold up a CB Radio to a telephone in such a way that a message gets through. But both ends of a conversation must speak the same language (Protocol) for anything meaningful to get through.

Now we get Allen Bradley confusing the issue. They have a RJ45 connector on the SLC 5/03. The RJ45 was used long before Ethernet for telephone usage. The SLC 5/03 was developed before the usage of the RJ45 connector was widespread in Ethernet usage. So don't blame them on that one. But, they called the Protocol which was developed which runs on the RS485 electrical connection - DH458. They already had DataHighway (DH) and DataHighway Plus (DH+) so the DH485 is not much of a stretch. But the Protocol - DH485 - can also be run in a one to one fashion via RS232. Got that?

So the SLC 5/03 speaks ONLY DH485 out the RS485 electrical - RJ45 socket. The SLC 5/03's 9 pin D Shell connector has only RS232 electrical but can carry either DF1 Protocol or DH485 Protocol. Your display speaks ONLY DH485 out its 9 pin D Shell connector.

The NET-AIC which was discussed is an Electrical convertor which can bridge between RS232 and RS485 but both sides have to be using the same Protocol. We've already established that the display can only speak DH485 so that's fixed. The only question is whether to go directly via RS232 between the two D Shell connectors or go by way of an added electrical convertor to get to the RJ45 connector.

Alright guys, I think I finally get it with the wiring specs of RS-232 vs RS-485 being different. So I will use the RS-232 port of the SLC configured as DH-485, just like Mickey sugested and I will use the RJ-45 for programming wich is fine since I have a PCMK card with the RJ-45 adapter here at work. Not having that would have meant buying the NET-AIC. Thanks again guys for the wealth of information! You all rock!:D

Alright guys, I think I finally get it with the wiring specs of RS-232 vs RS-485 being different. So I will use the RS-232 port of the SLC configured as DH-485, just like Mickey sugested and I will use the RJ-45 for programming wich is fine since I have a PCMK card with the RJ-45 adapter here at work. Not having that would have meant buying the NET-AIC. Thanks again guys for the wealth of information! You all rock!:D

And in the future when you upgrade your laptop which won't have a
PCMCIA slot check out the 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter).

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in063_-en-p.pdf

And in the future when you upgrade your laptop which won't have a
PCMCIA slot check out the 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter).

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in063_-en-p.pdf

One thing to note is that the UIC module communicates at 19200 baud minimum. If you try to use it on an older device that is configured for a baud less than 19200, you will not connect.

We found out the hard way. Now we have to keep an extra computer with WinXP SP2 on it in case we come across a device configured for a baud less than 19200.

Hello. I have the same problem.
I use 2711P-K4M20A- Ser C 110-240 and 2711P-KN3 Ser. A with the SLC 500 /03. But the new HMI 2711P-K4M20A (SEr. A) don't use the KN3 module and use DH485 on the DB9 connection (RS232 and DH485). The RJ45 port of controller is used to connect to HMI and I make the cable with this pinout

http://www.renuelectronics.com/images/eagle/cables/Allen Bradley DH485.htm

but don't work.

My question is: where can I change the configuration? is this possible?