USB driver in RSLinx Classic

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
I can't get the generic USB driver to install for connection to one of the newer compact logix processors with the USB port. Windows always says it can't find the driver and I have been unable to locate it on ABs site. Anyone else have the same issue?

I had to use BootP to assign an IP and firm it that way, but would still like to get the USB issued solved for the future.

What OS and what revision RSLinx are you running?
The RSLinx dedicated USB driver for connecting to the new geneartion Logix processors is the Virtual Backplane(SoftLogix58xx, USB)one.
Usually it is automatically installed upon USB connecting the RSLinx running PC to the CPU's on-board USB port; I have encountered instances where the driver had to be "manually" installed via RSLinx/Communications/Configure Drivers... due probably to Windows Security issues, however, if the OS and the RSLinx software carry the minimum support levels, it should be a pretty seamless task.

What OS and what revision RSLinx are you running?
The RSLinx dedicated USB driver for connecting to the new geneartion Logix processors is the Virtual Backplane(SoftLogix58xx, USB)one.
Usually it is automatically installed upon USB connecting the RSLinx running PC to the CPU's on-board USB port; I have encountered instances where the driver had to be "manually" installed via RSLinx/Communications/Configure Drivers... due probably to Windows Security issues, however, if the OS and the RSLinx software carry the minimum support levels, it should be a pretty seamless task.

WinXP sp3 in VMWare
and V20.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 5)
and V2.59.01 CPR 9 SR 5

Device comes up like image 1 in Hardware manager

When I try to install manually I get image 2

And the manual seems to indicate it looks like something other than the virtual backplane image 3 (although I did try that one as well with no luck - I selected slot 0)

Device Manager.jpg Install Failure.jpg usb driver in linx.jpg

Is the Device Manager screenshot off the Guest or Host OS?
What is the Host's OS?
However, according to RSLinx RSWho interface, it looks like you are USB connected to the CompactLogix CPU.
Can you connect Online RSL5K to the processor?
If you could, I guess the Windows issue is just a minor nuisance and it's probably related to the (I presume) Win7 "virtual" connectivity with the Guest OS residing RSLinx.
Have you tried installing RSL5K Rev 20 and RSLinx on the Host machine and verify the Device Manager state? I know this is quite "labor intensive" and will do nothing but confirm my assumption.

Is the Device Manager screenshot off the Guest or Host OS?
What is the Host's OS?
However, according to RSLinx RSWho interface, it looks like you are USB connected to the CompactLogix CPU.
Can you connect Online RSL5K to the processor?
If you could, I guess the Windows issue is just a minor nuisance and it's probably related to the (I presume) Win7 "virtual" connectivity with the Guest OS residing RSLinx.
Have you tried installing RSL5K Rev 20 and RSLinx on the Host machine and verify the Device Manager state? I know this is quite "labor intensive" and will do nothing but confirm my assumption.

The host is Win7 Ult 64 bit. I have tried it with both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports.

Images are taken in the guest/VM. Yes, it appears to auto discover just fine. Going through RSLogix5000 doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have kept my Host lean. I try not to install much of anything on that anymore.

Hello, I know this is an old post, but I'm facing a very similar problem.

I need to communicate with a Compact Logix 1769-L30ERM/A.
I've connected my PC via USB A to B cable to the on-board USB port, and attempted to establish a link using RSLinx Classic Lite v3.90 (My OS is Windows 7 64bits).
After plugging the USB, I got the message "Installing device driver". When I check in the Device Manager, I can see the "Rockwell Automation USBCIP" driver, and It seems to be properly installed.

However, the USB never appears on the RSWho. No matter what I do (I've tried erasing the current USB-Backplane driver, and adding it manually) I just couldn't make it work. I'd really appreciate any hint on this topic.
Kind regards
Martin

Welcome to the Forum!

Since this is your first post I will not prompt you with creating of a new thread request...:D

Are you working with a virtual machine or a physical PC?

Hello dmargineau, thanks for your prompt response!

Actually, I've tried with both :oops: physical and Virtual(The thing is, in my virtual machine running Windows XP SP3, I'm having a different issue, as I just CAN'T install the USB CIP Driver, but I didn't want to mess up the post with excessive info)

So, if I stick to the problem I described first... I'm working with a physical PC.

I'm really new to AB, so I very well may be asking sth stupid but... does the PLC need to be in PROG mode in order to be detected by RSWho? As far as I could understand, it wasn´t necessary, but just in case, I ask..

Regards,

Martin

As previously stated, the RSLinx USB driver is 'Plug-and-Play'.

Could you verify within the Start/Control Panel/Programs and Features if you have installed Rockwell Automation Driver Package x64?

No the key switch or PLC mode does not matter to RSLinx or RSWho.

Usually when you plug in a new device through USB you hear Windows "ding" as it detects the hardware. Are you getting that sound as you plug and unplug the USB cable?

I have also had issues with Windows 7 and USB 3.0 ports. USB 3 is not natively supported in Win7 so the right drivers are critical. I've had machines that would see my device, but when I unplug it locks up the USB port. So plugging and unplugging had no effect. I had to reboot to get it to see the connection. I moved my machines to Win10 where USB 3 is natively supported and those issues went away.

Anyway....a couple suggestions.
  1. Try a different USB port. Avoid the USB 3.0 ports. Typically these are either blue or they are labeled as "SS" for SuperSpeed. At least that's how Dell labels them.
  2. Delete your USB drivers from the Windows Device Manager. Go into the Device Manager and Universal System Bus Controllers and uninstall (don't delete files) any Intel or other branded drivers. Don't worry about the "generic" or "Root Hub", as they will delete automatically. After uninstalling right-click and select "Scan for hardware changes" and those devices will all reinstall.
  3. Delete the Rockwell Automation USB CIP Device from the Device Manager. Plug the cable back in and it should reinstall.
  4. Do a Windows Update. New USB drivers may be available. If for some reason you did not have the proper USB CIP driver, Windows Update will get it for you.

OG

Hello everyone! Thanks for all your responses.

dmargineau, I've checked in Control Panel/Programs and Features , and Rockwell Automation Driver Package x64 is installed.

Operaghost, all the USB ports on my laptop are 2.0. As far as I can remember, Windows made the "ding" sound everytime. I checked in Device Manager, and I could see the USB device appearing and desappearing when I plugged/unplugged it.

I'm gonna follow your advice (and labeleda's) and uninstall all USB drivers, including USBCIP. Unfortunately, I'm not at the plant at the moment, so I'll have to do it when I get back. I'll keep in touch.

Thanks again for your responses.
Martin

Excuse me, did you solve your problem? I opened the device manager and noticed that the device driver is not installed (Code 28). Do you know what to do? I'm still trying to use it urgently

Hello, this was a long Time ago. I don't remember exactly what did the trick and solve the issue. I Can tell you that it was a Windows drivers issue. I think I ended up installing thé software in a virtual machine, with a different version of Windows. After that, the driver was installed automatically. I also remember downloading some USB cip drivers from Rockwells website.
Best of luck