PF700VC on 20-comm-e datatable wierdness

AndrewB

Hi, I am attempting to setup some PF700VC's on 20-comm-e's on an ethernet network and i have run into some wierdness.

basically the setup is as follows
Control Logix L61 rev'd up to V17 so it can see the V7.01 PF700's
standalone ethernet network with stratix 8000 switch.
6x PF 700VC V7.01 with 20-comm-e

I have added the drives to the product tree in the CLX program and they are happily appearing in there, product keying is turned on and all is good there. the data tables have been created automatically.

everything went super smooth there (once i flashed up to V17 as V16 didnt support the version number of the PF700VC's)

i have set speed reference to DPI 5

I cannot get the drive to respond to SOME of the output commands in the CLX databables

now using drive executive I can see the following.

CLX Datatable PF700 Control bits.
stop stop bit changes state (drive flashes orange - stop asserted)
start bit no effect
job bit no effect
speedredD1 set to 0 in plc is set to 1 in the VSD (preset speed 2???)
speedrefD2 set to 0 in plc is set to 0 in the VSD
speedrefD3 set to 0 in plc is set to 0 in the VSD
commanded speed (varies) i can see this appearing in the commanded speed in the vsd but is not being passed
onto the speedref. using hte flow chart in drive explorer i cannot see why as as appears ok

so basically i defiantly have comms although the things that can cause motion are not working?????????????

help? im really stuck for ideas

p.s. screen dump attached, please note only 2 VSD's are connected at this time...

should i just ditch this and go with a message???

pf700vc.JPG

Andrew, from what I see, a quick glance that is, your I/O led isn't green and you have the yellow warnings for your drives..
I assume some configuration mishap exists.
Unitl you get it corrected you probably won't get the functions out of the VFDs.

the drive i am playing with (b4 centre) is alive and well in the product tree with no warnings. You can see two that are correctly installed. see attached below

The others dont physically exist as yet and will be added in the future. I just added them as i dont get much chance to get this PLC Offline

having a big read of the 20-comm-e manual right now but i am getting constantly interrupted by people as we have some large projects on the go atm.. its driving me nuts, just cant stay on 1 job for more than 15 minutes at a go

pf700vc.JPG

Just wondering if you have checked this.
In the 20-comms word 0 or the 1st word is reserved for block transfer.
Word 1 or the 2nd word is reserved for logic command.
Word 2 or the 3rd word is reserved for speed reference.
I'm pretty sure if you are not using block transfer, you have to set up the 20 comms to 1/2 rack and expand your I/O image table.
Just a guess though.
Jeff

If you have a tech connect contract I'd recommend downloading a couple of manuals about eNET modules.
You can also try the PFlex manuals as they have some examples of adding the PFs to a CLX as well as the basic set up for a 22-COMM-E.
They kind of walk you through each bit that needs to be set in order to start/stop the drive, etc as well as indicators (BOOL) of the current status of the drive.

yes i do have a techconnect contract.

I have the 20comme manual out atm.

going to try with traditional datalinks rather than the parameter method as its clearly not working.

Jeff/peoplehouse: The offsets for Block Transfer are only a concern for the 20-COMM-R RIO adapter; this is a 20-COMM-E for EtherNet/IP so the tags are called out individually.

The configuration as shown has no DataLinks configured; it's plain old 16-bit Command/Status and 16-bit Reference/Feedback. Very plain and straightforward, and of course it ought to work. I've commissioned dozens of drives like this.

Your description of the Stop bit causing the status LED to flash orange and the HIM module to display "Stop Asserted" proves that the Output tag is commanding the drive, as long as the "Stop Asserted" goes away when you set the .STOP bit to zero in the data table.

Start and Jog can be masked out, so you need to check the Start Mask and the Stop Mask to be sure that DPI Port 5 can request a Start or a Jog. Stop can't be masked out, so it's possible for Stop to work when nothing else does.

The Speed Reference selector might actually be set for Speed Reference 2 by digital inputs. Check carefully the configuration of all six Digital Inputs, and correlate that against the Digital Input Status parameter, as well a physically checking the voltage present at each digital input.

Thankyou Ken, i think your on the money with the start masking.
Ive also found some stuff in the 20-comm-e manual regarding enabling datalinks so i will check that as well while i am at it

Im off to check it out.

There is no I/O wiring so i doubt there is voltage present, however i will check it regardless.

I have no doubt i am missing something silly as like you say and my network is set correctly as the stop asserted has been proven to be funtional.

my input word is spot on. everthing works as it should.

Ken has given a lot of valuable information. I would like to add some more.
While checking the Masks, also scroll down a little further to the Owners. These tell you what device "owns" control of various parts of the drive i.e. stop owner, start owner, reference owner. If a digital input is commanding a speed reference, it will show up as "Digital In" in the Reference Owner parameter.

For starting the drive: All stop commands must be removed. You must turn off your stop command over enet when giving a start command. Again, check the stop owner to see what is commanding drive to stop.

You said you were able to change the commanded speed over enet but the speed reference would not follow. This is because the drive is not running yet. The speed reference displays the actual speed of the drive. When you get the drive started, you will see the speed reference ramp to the commanded speed.

ok i have been bashing my way through this. still no physical progress. however my laptop has decided to blue screen every 15 minutes so its been a challenge.

what i have observed.

I have gone through all the masks which are all open (7F)
dpi ports 1-6 all open, so thats ok

i have found a stop command in parameter 271 bit 0.

looking at the stop owners (param 288) like you say this is coming from bit 0 which is digital input 0 i might need to pop a wire in there to simimulate a NC stop button.......

or i could mask it out.

on the speed ref thing, agreed. ive spent a little while looking at the diagrams in drive exec and this makes sense when following the flow chart.
tommorrow :)

thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated.

looking at the stop owners (param 288) like you say this is coming from bit 0 which is digital input 0 i might need to pop a wire in there to simimulate a NC stop button.......

or i could mask it out.

You can also check Parameters 361-366. If any one of the digital inputs is set to "Stop-CF" you will need to have that digital input on in order to release the stop. Alternatively, you can change the parameter setting to "Not Used" then no input is required. Please remember that if you eliminate the "Stop-CF", you will also have to eliminate the "Start" setting that is probably on parameter 362. The drive will give you an alarm if there is a start digital input without a stop.

param 361 stop CF.

i cant believe i just VPN'd in to work to check that :) at least i will sleep well tonight :)

all good . we have a working drive.
turns out you cant mask the hard wired stop out..

You have to turn the digital inputs to "NOT USED"

i cant say enough thanks to you guys :) once again saved the day :)

I'm glad to hear you got it running. Thanks for posting your results.

In fact, you cannot mask out any Stop command; the network, the HIM module, and the Digital Inputs can always generate a Stop command if they are connected.

The method you arrived at, of turning the Digital Inputs to "Not Used" is the method I use when I am running only via network commands.