ASCII Data - SLC/PV1000 to CLX/PV7 Conversion

exileaustin

Hi there everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am doing an SLC-5/03 to CompactLogix migration and am having an issue with a barcode reader and the old ASCII data type that lived inside the 503.

Original SLC program was lost and so I had to do a blind upload before my conversion, so no program/tag comments.

HMI is an old PV-1000 talking DH+. This will be replaced with a new PV7.

My main issue is that inside PanelBuilder32 software there are ASCII input tags with a Data Type of "Character Array".

Tag address is A31:0, Array size: 6.

This seems to allow the user to input "12345" on screen and have the data write to the PLC as follows: A31:0 "12", A31:1 "34", A31:2 "5\00".

Is there an easy way to do this with FTViewME? I am trying to not modify the original logic at all, as there are no comments and is a tough one to reverse engineer.

It appears that you can no longer select Character Array as a tag type inside FTView but I am wondering if there is a syntax I can use inside a String entry or similar.

Thanks!

Just use a PV and PLC String type. If you have to use what the operator entered into a Integer String (2 characters per word) then search this site, there are several examples of how to do that. But it would be easiest to take what your barcode reader is sending and put it into a String tag. Then you can just do simple comparisons on strings.