OT: Cybertruck

I had an unpleasant experience last night stopped at a light next to a lifted RAM 2500 with side pipes and a 6.7 liter Cummins. His exhaust completely flooded my car (a cabin air filter can't do anything about gases) and I literally had to back up in traffic to stop choking.
That truck probably 'deleted' the diesel practiclate filter and doesn't use DEF. There are other mods that are illegal in some counties in WA.

Well, I spent some holiday weekend time doing research on this. At work we will be working on various large scale project so opportunity for more intensive learning will present it self.

A friend send me this youtube series on Tesla 3 battery, very impressive and it also ponits out indirectly why used Leaf are so cheap. I have to think this over much more before pulling the trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGFiaWvD-KI&feature=youtu.be

parky

We put 2500 miles on a Peugeot touring the length and width of your island. That little car worked well for your country but over here in the colonies the roads are all wider. Our state highways, you may call them B roads, are also high speed roads and we would expect to cover 5-6 hundred miles comfortably. Well beyond the range of batteries. Hopefully some day.

Originally posted by gas:

Our state highways, you may call them B roads, are also high speed roads and we would expect to cover 5-6 hundred miles comfortably.

I'm 51 years old and have lived in the US all my life. I have NEVER traveled 600 miles on a state highway in my life, nor do I ever expect to. I think you might be thinking of M roads in the UK.

And what do you mean by "comfortably". A 600 mile jaunt is a 9 hour endeavor, even the way I drive (sorry, smokey). You can't be doing that in a single shot. If you're going to stop anyway...

I do agree with Peter Nachtwey, though, that the Cybertruck is a silly concept unless you are buying it as a cool looking car replacement. There are better options for a truck that will be used as a truck.

Don't get me wrong. I would go electric if I could. I am reasonable enough to know that my general lifestyle wouldn't be inconvenienced that much by an electric. For the few times I need to go 500 miles, I'll rent. But I'm still buying mid-2000's Saturns as my daily runners. The price point of entry for electric is still a bit steep for me. And I can't fix them myself with a quick trip to O'Reilly.

Keith

I have NEVER traveled 600 miles on a state highway in my life, nor do I ever expect to.

I have but not very often, I worked in Fremont (Monday-Friday) and lived in Cayucos (Sat-Sun) for 5 years and that was just over 200 miles one way, I think if I lived still in CA and had a commute I would have a electric car, my new commute is about 6 min (if I go slow) so im good with gas.

You are correct. In my post I was assuming a single direction, direct shot from one point to another on nothing but state highways. As I was posting I should have included the caveat that you COULD reasonably do that in California, Texas and Alaska. I'm not sure too many other states are big enough to allow for that kind of mileage unless you were intentionally avoiding the most direct, convenient route.

Keith

I have ordered it, the reservation payment is only $100 so before they will start production it is going to be a few years.

Very COOL!!! please post pic and videos once you get it, I bet its going to be a blast to drive

GM made it official that they are going to bring the Hummer back, I had a H2 and loved it, the new one is going to be electric, I hope its not the H3 size, I may get one if its big... or I am still eyeing the VW mini van (im getting older) https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/microbus

About the original statement that no one had onboard power and compressed air for tools:

I had a Buick Rendezvous that had a compressed air QC in the back and came with an air hose for air tools and tire filling.

I had a GM full size work van that had an AC power inverter that powered electric hand tools very well.

Back
Top Bottom