Factorytalk View ME not detecting certain remote cards

Antizerg

I have a situation where quite a few remote 1734 cards are not showing their input and output tags via Factorytalk when I try to assign tags to various objects.

In Logixpro 5000 I can see the inputs/outputs all day.

In Factorytalk, I can see the 1734 card but I don’t have an input or output choice.

It only has the “C” choice, which is I assume for channel.

I noticed under the communication section all the 1734 cards that have this problem are not recognized by Factorytalk.

RSLinkx and LogixPro 5000 did recognize these cards.

I tried downloading one of the EDS files for one of the cards and it did make the yellow question mark disappear but it gave a “device net” option of the remote card and I still can’t assign an input tag for it. It just didn’t seem the right solution.

Any help on where to start?

Not really a good practice to have an HMI reading IO directly. Because if IO happens to change the HMI wont work anymore. Its best to copy the IO to a regular tag or even a structured tag.
And the 'C' is the configuration tag for module configurations.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your concept and I will bring this up, but the Lead engineer wants a display showing the raw I/O of every card for troubleshooting reasons.

Having said that, your suggestion doesn’t solve my issue.

What is the best way to have Factorytalk recognize cards that currently have question marks next to it.

Just for clarity, a card that is recognized will allow me to have tags for I, O, and C.
The cards that are not recognized only show C tags.

I will also add, these cards are not on the same backplane as the PLC. They are in a remote backplane. I am able to recognize other cards on this backplane though.

Lets say you have an input module at something like Rack021 slot 3 (where 21 is the 192.168.1.21 IP address) then I would create a tag for the HMI called Rack021Slot03 of the same type (INT, DINT etc) and then have the HMI read that. You of course also need just a single MOV or Rack021:I:3.?? into Rack021Slot03.

Jax, I completely agree with you and this is something I will discuss with the Lead engineer.

But this is a bandaid to my original problem, even though it is probably recommended to do it this way, it doesn’t explain why 7 cards inputs/outputs are not discoverable by Factorytalk.

I’d rather figure out the root issue because there is something odd going on.

I think I nailed it down to the yellow question marks by these cards. I have not been working over the Holiday weekend but Monday I plan on hitting it up hard.

Just to review,
RSLinx and Studio 5000 recognizes these cards.
Factorytalk does not and it only lets me see the Configuration channels for these cards, the Input and Output channels do not show up.

I did download a EDS for one of the cards and used the EDS install wizard, Factorytalk did recognize the card but it still only gave me the Configuration channels. It also seemed different from the other cards that were previously recognized because it had an expand menu consisting of deviceNet.

Let me also add, reading the I/O directly is just a visual reference of the cards current state. We are not making any decisions with this data. It is strictly for reference/troubleshooting purposes.

This is the way the lead engineer wants it. Whether he is following best practices or not isn’t really the issue I am having.

Last edited:
Are you online with the PLC that you wish to map I/O from in FTV? Giving you access the online folder.

PLC Online.PNG
PLC Local Data.PNG

Do you have the PLC Mapped under the Communication tab? Or just in the application in communication setup design and runtime tabs?

If mapped under the communication tab in the explorer pane it should find all modules automatically just like RSLinx.

If mapped only under the design and runtime tab in communication setup then you must use the add device function for each module.

Also, There is nothing stopping you from manually entering the mapping for the display object in the connection tab.

ex.>> ::[shortcut]Local:1:I.Data.#

it looks like they are mapped different.

One is from backplane the other from card 4

Sorry, I don't fully understand what you mean. I am very new to all of this :confused:.

These are all Remote cards in the image.

I did not show the Local cards, I am having no issues with the local cards.

But yes, there is a remote back plane. I am able to see the first 3 cards no problem. It is the cards after that is causing an issue.

if you add your IP Address to the PLC under the communication tab in the Explorer pane. It will map all cards in the rack. It will also automatically add them to the Designer Tab in Communication setup. You then can use the copy to runtime to add to the runtime tab.

I always go back and delete the extra addresses that are not used for that specific project under the runtime tab. I find that to be easier than mapping each item individually.

Explorer Pane.PNG

Compare the 3rd and 4th imagine you posted of the cards. The one from RSLinx and the one from FTV. They are not the same.

I will check into this tomorrow to see if I can grasp what you are suggesting, I was given this file from another user.

As far as I know, isn’t the system automatically mapping them at this stage?
I did not have to map anything.

I am not doing anything special, I am just letting Factorytalk automatically located everything. Perhaps this is what I am missing?

I even deleted the card and allowed the browser to find it again.

I have the design time and run time mapped to the main controller.

What are the cards that you can't see? Pure digital IO? Or intelligent IO? (Analog, Counter, etc)?

And honestly, looking at the Raw IO from the card is essentially pointless. NOBODY will ever look at it again after showing the "Super Cool Feature". It is much more useful to have tables in the HMI that will show the values received by the cards, but even there, I always move the cards "Raw" data into an internal buffer.

Last edited:
I can detect/see all of the cards.

The cards that I can see the input/output configuration are:
1734-IB8S
1734-OB8S

The cards that I can only see the "C" tags are:
1734-IV8, but Factorytalk is for some reason calling it 1734IV8/C and has a yellow question mark next to it.

It also cannot detect 1734-OB8, it is calling it 1734-OB8/C.