VFD Panel wiring question

the bottom of a panel is the worst place to put a vfd
they are the larges source of heat in the panel that heat rises and heats everything else in the panel so will have to de-rate anything above it if its the plc then it will shorten the life all components of the plc
heat generating components should always be above other components
another thing to think about when plant personal work in the panel and trim wire where do you thing the trimmed copper wire falls into the heat vents of your nice $10K vfd with 900vdc on the buss. Smoke flames real problems
I have always mounted the vfd's high in the panel and I just don't see any problem.
if you feel you need shielded cable on the vfd T leads then run them from the vfd to the terminal block
I have had requests for clients to provide a disconnect on the motors leads so they cam open it to trouble shoot possible problems for them it works great

Last edited:
the bottom of a panel is the worst place to put a vfd
they are the larges source of heat in the panel that heat rises and heats everything else in the panel so will have to de-rate anything above it if its the plc then it will shorten the life all components of the plc
heat generating components should always be above other components
another thing to think about when plant personal work in the panel and trim wire where do you thing the trimmed copper wire falls into the heat vents of your nice $10K vfd with 900vdc on the buss. Smoke flames real problems
I have always mounted the vfd's high in the panel and I just don't see any problem.
if you feel you need shielded cable on the vfd T leads then run them from the vfd to the terminal block
I have had requests for clients to provide a disconnect on the motors leads so they cam open it to trouble shoot possible problems for them it works great

Second this one. I only put the fuses belonging to the drive above it. So I have a line down my panel. Fuse - Line Reactor - Drive - Load reactor - motor Lead. This way, its easy to quickly identify the fuse and reactor that belongs to a particular VFD.