OT: Cybertruck

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Who here is one of the 187,000 who have already pre-ordered a Tesla cybertruck? Ken, are you eyeing off the upgrade? :D

I mean, onboard power and compressed air for power/air tools is one of those "how has nobody done this before" sort of ideas. Or if you want to show off, you can tow a broken down F150 and it's caravan simultaneously, and then beat a V12 Ferrari to 60mph (although probably not while towing the F150).

Ford had a concept F150 that I remember from late 2018 that was a hybrid. It could be used as a jobsite power source. I think they plan to produce it next year.

The problem is that the batteries will take away from the payload, the ability to haul something.

By that logic so does the internal combustion engine, transfer case, transmission, and fuel on an F150.

all cybertruck models have 3500 lbs payload capacity and dual/tri motor models have 10,000 lbs and 14,000 lbs towing capacity respectively. Not sure how far you can tow 14,000 lbs on a full charge, but long distance hauling isn't the target market here, the target market is all of the people driving lots of miles in trucks commuting with nothing in the box 90% of the time who otherwise weren't interested in the existing electric car market offerings, for the odd time they haul a boat, go snowmobiling, move firewood, move furniture, go hunting/camping up some deactivated logging road, etc.

The problem is that the batteries will take away from the payload, the ability to haul something.
Do most truck owners actually tow anything? :rolleyes:

It definitely looks like something out of a scifi movie. I can't wait to see one in person...though I won't be one 187,000 happy owners. Amber and I are thinking about making an electric truck. More of a Frankenstein project though, well below the $50K cost of one of these.

Electric cars in my opinion have a long way to go, the mileage rates are almost certainly based on a car driven without lights, no radio and all other equipment not required to make the car move turned off, up to 500 miles is probably more like 300, in the States really ? might just about be useful in the UK if your travelling from middle of country to London & traffic willing you may get back. You find you get to your job, no charging points, time is of the essence so no time to stop half way for a top up. I'm sorry but for business or long distant travelers it just does not stack up. The cost of the cars are prohibitive for many, and I bet the guarantee of 8 years on the battery pack are based on a limited number of charges, probably less than the average user. I believe the fuel cell has got to be the way to go. The bullet proofing might come in handy, but not much use in UK. I purchased a Ford Fiesta ECO Boost two years ago, the specs on up to 75 miles a gallon and zero road fund tax tempted me. Yes for a small 3 cylinder car it's quite nippy off the line (not if your a boy racer), the 75 miles per gallon ?. I took a trip that was 271 miles, I reset the MPG, drove much to the annoyance of other drivers in a manner & speed to conserve the fuel on mainly motorways without any holdups, it achieved an average of 49.7 MPG I think 75 MPG is on a flat road, wind behind & no stops. The return journey produced 49.2 (must have been a few more hills)

I had an electric-drive Smart car; it drove SO much better than the gasoline ones, but the tiny 60-mile range wasn't enough for me. All I ever carried in it was a small dog and two bags of groceries.

Ford has an electric F-150 prototype, but you've heard almost nothing about it because the gasoline ones are so fantastically profitable. In the first year of production, I expect Tesla to sell 20x more Cybertrucks than ford sells F-150 Electrics.

I don't need (and couldn't park) a pickup truck, nor can my budget manage two Teslas. But if I needed a full size pickup, that's what I would buy.

I had an electric-drive Smart car; it drove SO much better than the gasoline ones, but the tiny 60-mile range wasn't enough for me. All I ever carried in it was a small dog and two bags of groceries.
We figure we need a 200 pound carrying capacity and a maximum distance of 12 miles. 900' most days.

Back
Top Bottom