ML1400 HSC overflow problem

I have programmed a cut-to-length system on ML1400 which I am simulating with a voltage controlled oscillator driving HSC:0. The program uses a touch screen to set the length of the sheet and number of sheets in a batch. The HSC counts the (simulated) encoder, and slows and stops the VCO when the preset is reached.
All works as expected for preset lengths up to 1999(mm). However if I enter a preset length 2000 or greater, flag HSC:0/OF sets, the counter resets to zero and it screws up my slowdown calculation math. But I have set the overflow value HSC:0.OVF to 99999 so there is no way the accumulator is reaching this value. What is going on?
I originally had HSC:3 as the operational counter where the problem was noticed. I shifted code and wiring to use HSC:0 but the problem is exactly the same. :unsure:

Assuming the number of pulses = mm then I don't know what the problem is.
As far as I know the HIP value if reached will reset the count.
Remember that the transfer to say N7:xx will only handle integers so anything above 32767 will result in an error or negative number.