UL Motor panel question

Rson

I don't run a UL panel shop or do UL designs, but I try to keep my designs UL friendly because several times I've had to have it inspected before installation. Hopefully someone familiar with UL can chime in.

I have an application where I just have a single motor to control with a level switch. Typically, I would put a UL98 disconnect on the panel and then also have a Type E or F combination starter. I do notice that the Type E/F combo starter also offers a rotary handle for access outside of the enclosure.

Would I be in compliance if I used the Motor circuit protector to protect the motor and use the rotary handle as the disconnecting means, or should I have both a UL98 disconnect and the rotary handle?

I would also probably run a 120V transformer or 24VDC power supply for the control circuit.
Thanks

I'm out of the office so can't quote code but this is a common question we get about our motor starter panels. You can use the MMS is a disconnect if the motor is the only power circuit. For example you could got to a START/STOP button or an HOA using line voltage to pull in a contactor for a motor, but the moment you add a transformer, auxiliary solenoid, or any type of secondary power load, is must use a UL98 disconnect and branch circuit protection for each load.

Using the MMS can be a good cost saver when you can but you wouldn't believe the times I've had to explain why it cost an extra $300 to put a $25 auxiliary load in because of this. Here are two examples of near identical panels using an MMS vs UL98
$645.95 MMS https://www.theautomationstore.com/...-phase-1hp-460vac-460vac-coil-ul-508a-listed/
$968.95 With Transformer https://www.theautomationstore.com/...-phase-1hp-460vac-120vac-coil-ul-508a-listed/

Thank you for the response.

I suppose this makes sense. I didn't think it was legal to use 480V for any controls components any longer.

From what I hear we aren't too far away from requiring ARC flash suits just for 110V panels!

I suppose this makes sense. I didn't think it was legal to use 480V for any controls components any longer.
This is an often quoted but not completely true statement. There are a lot of safety reasons to use 24VDC, especially where the control signals leave the enclosure, but it doesn't mean that everything else is illegal.

From what I hear we aren't too far away from requiring ARC flash suits just for 110V panels!
Arc flash is required for 110VAC.