Installing RSLogix/Studio on Windows 10

My customer/company is forcing me from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I need RSLogix back to 13.04 and I also need Studio Version 30, 31 & 32 for our various equipment.

What order should I install the software?

Can RSLogix go back to 13.04 on Windows 10? If not, how far back can it go?

Can RStudio go back to 13.04? If not, how far back does it go?

If there is already a thread about this, I could not find it.

Why are they forcing you to change OS?
Consider running a VM with a windows 10 host and all of your software in a windows 7 base VM.

Not sure off the top of my head how far back the versions go but you can go to Rockwell and use the product configuration to see what compatibility requirements there are before making this change.

Yes, I am planning on making a Windows 7 VM. I am so sick of IT constantly updating these laptops. A VM is the only way to stop the madness.

I would also like to have a Windows 10 strategy as well. I currently am using a WinXP VM so I can use RSLogix 8 on some of our older equipment. I prefer VMWare over VirtualBox

If you look up the Rockwell Automation Compatibility and Download Centre, you can pick all 4 products and compare them.
When you do so, you get a big green tick for 30,31,32 playing nicely together and working on windows 10.
You get a "no known issues but we haven't tested it" grey or blank mark for rsl5k v13.04 (both windows 10 and for working with 30/31/32
That's better than the "known issues" red mark.

That's the official line anyway, not sure anecdotally.

We. supplied 6 laptops this year alone to various customers, but they got invoiced for other parts or services, Completely under radar, soley just to keep their IT out of the loop.

OT, VM Is the way to go with the older versions, just keep say 30, 31 and 32 on the host.

We. supplied 6 laptops this year alone to various customers, but they got invoiced for other parts or services, Completely under radar, soley just to keep their IT out of the loop.

OT, VM Is the way to go with the older versions, just keep say 30, 31 and 32 on the host.

Not a fan of IT's as well, but what is the difference if it is a VM or a normal machine with not supported and not updated software(Win7). The only thing I see is that the IT's will not know of it. But it is there and you will have it in the network from time to time, or the USBs will go here and there. I think impact can be the same. If I have to use it, I would send the IT's the list of reasons I need Win7, justification why I cannot move to Win10 and make them responsible. In the end they will have to figure the way to document it, not me.

If I have to use it, I would send the IT's the list of reasons I need Win7, justification why I cannot move to Win10 and make them responsible. In the end they will have to figure the way to document it, not me.

I wish, I had an IT team similar to yours:cool:

I wish, I had an IT team similar to yours:cool:

IT cannot make all of the rules, they have to work with the facts and find a way to deal with them.

They are not Gods, they are not managers, they do not own companies, they are servants to the needs of the business, and they should recognise their position.

Too bad, not much managers are IT savvy, yet override them.

So as long as managers listen to them they are the rule makers. I see this trend in many places.

Unless you run your own business

Too bad, not much managers are IT savvy, yet override them.

So as long as managers listen to them they are the rule makers. I see this trend in many places.

Unless you run your own business

ITs don't make the rules, they just have to comply. Rules are made by manufacturer. If Rockwell says no, that's it. It takes some fighting until you reach there, of course I have to provide details about the HW upgrade that is required in order to comply. Then management decides.

But for sure hiding a problem (apocrif VM) is not a decision, it is just more problems.