Control/CompactLogix Host Name

JeremyM

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm using Studio 5K to write some support programs to provide output tags to be displayed on an HMI or even used throughout a project.

By message, I'm able to retrieve all of these and build strings from them:
- IP Address, Mask, Gateway, DNS1, DNS2, and Domain

However, I can't seem to find the Message configuration (if it exists) to retrieve the Host Name of the controller.

Has anyone else done this? Thanks! :nodi:

Got it. KB31238 (Obtaining the Host Name in a 1756-ENBT) covers this.

Same configuration as getting the other IP info, but the attribute is instead 6 and destination is an array SINT[66]. Number of characters is specified by SINT[0] and the name characters begin at SINT[2].

This is what I use to retrieve Controller information, use it on all my projects....

Just to clarify data-types...

"Identity" a User-Defined String Data-Type "STRING32" (32 character STRING)

"FirmwareRevision" INT
"FirmwareMajor" and "FirmwareMinor" DINTs
"Firmware_REAL" is obviously REAL

2019-12-15_120059.jpg

Last edited:
Yes those are a subset of what I’m making available.

Host Name isn’t necessarily the same as the Project Name.

What I got working is Host Name + Domain Name -> FQDN of the processor as configured on its IP properties tab in 5K/Linx. Both of these can only be retrieved by CIP messaging.

Last edited: