PLC simulator wanted

gbuday

I teach logic and programming so obviously I could teach PLC programming. And, there is a market demand.

I do this at a university so I would like to develop an academic course on PLC programming. I know that in the real world you use some manufacturer's devices but I do not have the budget to buy those.

So my question is the following: what simulator would you recommend to use for teaching the thinking of how to program PLCs? Any academic course should teach the thinking in some field: PLCs are no different.

Is there an open source PLC simulator software for Windows or Linux that you would recommend?

Rockwell Automation has RS Logix 5000 emulator. I do believe it requires a license. They may work with teaching institutions. It couldn't hurt to ask?

Codesys is a fully IEC61131-3 compliant programming software you can install for free.
It incorporates a simulator that runs as a icon in the Windows notification area

If you are going to teach plc programming - you really need hardware too.
A PLC, software and things to connect to inputs and outputs.

Students need to grasp the reality of programming - and a simulator alone will not do it.

Plus One for Ronnie.

PLC's interact with the real world. Wiring in switches, sensors, lights and stuff
that moves is all part of the package. Having the student push the button and
lights change states or something moves gives immediate feedback that they
student got it right - or not.
Poet.

I understand what you say Ronnie and poet, and I do agree that there is no substitute for tinkering with the real thing, but gbuday has already mentioned that there is no budget for hardware. While we think it would be better to offer a lab with real PLC's, this is a luxury that just is not available everywhere in the world.

With that limitation in mind I also recommend Codesys. Either the older v2.3 or current v3.5. Both are free downloads and come with a simulator that runs on a Windows PC. It offers all standard IEC61131-3 languages (ladder, function block, sequential function chart, structured text, instruction list) and as such is a nice learning tool. The v2.3 version is much smaller and less demanding on hardware than the more recent v3.5. It may look a bit old fashioned but is lean and mean, starts quickly and runs fine with modest memory and processing demands.

The learning pit isn't free - but MUCH cheaper than a PLC and it looks exactly like RSLogix 500. Plus, it includes simulators - door openers, street lights, etc.

EZRack PLC software is free and you can simulate the software without buying hardware. You could just go download it.

If you want some hardware, it is only about $250 for a rack, and input card and an output card.

+1 Toine

You can not manage physical inputs and outputs with the simulator, but in Codesys you can create HMI screens within the same programming environment.

In addition the simulator is very complete, it has an OPC UA server, it can act as master or slave MODBUS, also as scanner or adapter Ethernet/IP, and other protocols too.

And if some day a real hardware is needed you can use a Raspberry Pi with some input/output card.

welcome to the forum ...

I'm trying to be helpful here - so PLEASE do not take this the wrong way ...

Any academic course should teach the thinking in some field: PLCs are no different.

many programmers trying to migrate from the "computer" world to the "PLC" world have been "challenged" by the PLC's scan cycle ...

it's OK to "pause" a computer (for example: to let the user look at something on the screen) and then allow the user to "Press any key" to continue ...

on the other hand - "pausing" a PLC's scan cycle would be disastrous - since during the pause the PLC wouldn't be able to monitor important input signals from the field ...

so ... my advice is: be sure to incorporate the PLC "scan cycle" idea into your training ...

going further ... I strongly recommend that you contact your local industries about your new training venture ... based on my personal experience, in many cases, they can provide you (often free of charge) with hardware (and possibly software) that they no longer need ...

I sincerely wish you the greatest success with your project ...

Challenged is a nice way to put it. In my personal experience, it's been a disaster.

I'm sure they think the same about a PLC guy going to the computer side...

I have programmed in both PLC , PC and lately for mobile devices too.

I started first with DOS programming and for me it was not hard to start with PLC programming, because in both cases the flow of the program went from top to bottom, with the difference that in a PLC it repeats cyclically.

What really was hard for me is to start with Windows programming when things are executed by events and not from top to bottom