Tropical installations

spaderkung

Have anyone encountered liquid water inside junction and motor boxes as a result of condensation, not leakage? Solutions? An idea is 1 drilled hole in bottom that will allow gravity water out, but stop wind and dust blowing in..

I have seen that more than a few times. Condensation in a motor only happens when the motor sits idle doe a long time.
you can install external heaters to keep the motor temp up but here is a better solution
http://www.motortronics.com/pages/heatercontrols.html
it works without any additional wiring to the motor
as for the conduit the hole in the bottom of the box is a s good a solution as any as long as it not a hazardous environment.

Have anyone encountered liquid water inside junction and motor boxes as a result of condensation, not leakage? Solutions? An idea is 1 drilled hole in bottom that will allow gravity water out, but stop wind and dust blowing in..

Dielectric grease smeared everywhere? Same stuff is used on motorcycle spark plug boots. Stops moisture getting to where it does not belong.

Gel packs ( do no eat label ). Meat packing plants swear by these

I have seen so many 'weatherproof - waterproof enclosures filled with water that with due considerations to the conditions - I drill a hole where the water gathers.
Better than any watertight seal or gasket.

For enclosures I've also drilled my share of drain holes. I've even used a hammer and spike to create a hole when a drill wasn't handy - this actually works well because it creates a pitch to the hole.

For motors winding heaters are usually an available option. You just need a relay to put low voltage to the heater when motor power is cut.

For devices like electric motor operators on valves where a drain hole isn't feasible I usually specify a small cartridge heater and thermostat to eliminate condensation. This is also a commonly available option.

Like OkiePC, I see lots of those 4x boxes that will let water in but not let it out. A small drain hole helps if it's not in a "hostile" environment.

Put a T at the lowest point, then flex UP to the device/motor from the center of the T and put one of these in the bottom.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...d_drains/cd_series_ordinarylocationdrain.html

Yup. T to the lowest spot and install a drain helps.

Also, using duct-seal putty on the other end of the conduit (at the MCC) will help if the MCC is cooler than the plant floor where the motor is.