OT: Headscratcher problem with servo hydraulic cylinder.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
OK, here is a headscratcher for you all. I believe that I have correctly diagnosed this problem, but I want to double check if you all would come to the same conclusion as I did.

Cylinder bore: 17”

Rod Diameter: 8”

Max operating pressure: 4,000 PSI

Max tonnage: 455 tons

Normal operating tonnage: 400 tons.

One year ago the cylinder was retrofitted with a servo valve for position and force control. The piston was replaced by a new piston modified to accept a magnetostrictive position transducer. To keep piping distances between the cylinder and the servo valve at an absolute minimum, a manifold is mounted directly on the cylinder blind end cap. The manifold ports directly into to the blind end cap through a 1” port with an o-ring between the manifold and the cap. The position sensor head mounts in the center of the cylinder cap, so the hydraulic port and manifold are to one side of the cylinder cap, centered along the radius line of the cylinder cap. The manifold also connects to the rod end of the cylinder via hard tubing.. Mounted to the manifold are a bang-bang J spool DCV valve with a P.O. check subplate and a directional control servo valve. Both control motion of the cylinder. The bang/bang valve was included for rapid coarse motion however it is rarely used and not necessary. The piston is always operated by the servo valve. The bang-bang valve is isolated from the servo valve by the P.O. check valve subplate between the bang-bang valve and the manifold. The manifold also has test ports, and pressure transducers for supply pressure, blind end pressure, and rod end pressure. The initial load on the rod is 80 tons. Applied process tonnage is 400 tons.

The hydraulic cylinder operated with the expected precision for nearly a year. Then it began exhibiting anomalous behavior in that the piston would sometimes not move when it was first commanded to move. When the problem occurred the motion controller PID would wind up and fully open the servo valve. Valve spool position feedback confirms that the valve is fully open and doing what it was commanded. Pump pressure was verified at 4,000 PSI. The pressure transducer for the blind end of the cylinder would show 4,000 PSI and the pressure transducer for the rod end would show 0 PSI, however the piston would not move. Pressure transducer readings were corroborated by pressure gages at the test ports. The piston would also not move if the bang-bang valve was activated. However, after about one minute the problem would apparently clear itself and the piston would begin moving and would complete its operation with its usual precision, apply full load to the process, and then retract for the next stroke. The problem would manifest itself randomly a few times a day, but over time the frequency of the problem increased, always with the problem self clearing after about a minute. The cylinder was disassembled and no mechanical damage or seal damage could be found. The seals were replaced and the newly rebuilt cylinder was put back in service. It continued to manifest the problem. An identical cylinder on a second machine began having similar problems. Then the first cylinder quit self clearing the problem; it stalled in the retracted position with full pressure applied to the piston, no pressure in the rod end, and it would remain in that position, unable to move, indefinitely until the cycle was aborted. But if all of the pre load weight was removed from the piston then it would follow its motion profile with the expected precision.

The servo valve, the magnetiostrictive positon sensor, the bang-bang valve, the hydraulic pump, and the pressure transducers are all fully functional. There is nothing wrong with the PLC logic or with the motion control card.

So, what do you all think was going on?

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's in the PO check valve. Slow operation of the check valve or too much pressure drop across the valve that controls the flow of fluid in the pilot line.

You need to open the check valve before you apply pressure to move the load. The higher the pressure holding the check valve closed, the harder it is to open it.

I considered that, it wasn't the problem. The entire DCV stack, including the P.O. check valve plate was replaced. However the DCV stack in not used, it just happens to be present.

I think I have included all the information to diagnose the prolem in the OP, but this one was a real headscratcher at first. Once the light bulb went on though its very simple.

My first thought is the servo valve. However if your getting the spool position back that should be good enough. Unless it was a large valve and you were seeing the spool position of the pilot and not the main valve.

If the PO check is in parallel with the servo valve and is not bing used in the cycle I don't see how it would cause this problem.

I installed a system like that about three years ago, the first time i started the cylinder worked fine, after several days it started jumping with no reason, I installed a signal isolator between my plc board and the servo valve , since then everything is fine.

Have you check your oil quality, dirt, viscosity etc. etc.

Here is a schematic of manifold mounted to the cylinder cap.

headscratcher1009.jpg

By way of explanation, the servo valve shows four positions. It is drawn in the power off position. When the valve is powered up the spool moves to the closed center position when given 0 command.

Last edited:
Alaric, is your drawing accurate? You're showing the "A" port of the both the servo valve and the bang-bang valves connected to the "B" port of the manifold and the "B" ports of the valves connected to the "A" ports of the manifold.

Or was that the problem?

Alaric said:
Then the first cylinder quit self clearing the problem; it stalled in the retracted position with full pressure applied to the piston, no pressure in the rod end, and it would remain in that position, unable to move, indefinitely until the cycle was aborted. But if all of the pre load weight was removed from the piston then it would follow its motion profile with the expected precision.
No clearance for the oil between the piston and the end cap pipe port? The only active area is the 1 inch pipe area. With the preload in place it exceded the force that the 1" pipe cross section can apply.

milldrone said:
No clearance for the oil between the piston and the end cap pipe port? The only active area is the 1 inch pipe area. With the preload in place it exceded the force that the 1" pipe cross section can apply.

AW hell! You and Peter are no fun at all. 🍺 I was hoping to have this turn into a good brainteaser.

The key clue was that the piston was replaced. The orignal piston had a steped surface on it so that the port would not be blocked.

I haven't torn the cylinder down yet, but by looking at the drawings it appears that when the manufacturer made the new piston whoever measured it up had the step on the piston slighly overlapping the pressure port. Its my theory that the brand new piston had a machined surface on it and did not develop a tight seal against the cylinder cap at first. But over time, each time the piston was fully retracted, the piston surface and the cap surfaced lapped together, eventually developing a nice metal to metal seal against the port. With only 1" of cross section area in the port the applied force to move the piston could only be 1-1/2 tons, against an 80 ton preload. Becasue the seal wasn't perfect though oil very slowly oozed past until enough force built up on the stepped surface of the piston to break the metal to metal seal, and then it was off to the races. Thats why the problem appeared to self correct after about a minute. But as the surfaces continued to lap together the seal got better and better, so the problem occured with increasing frequency until the seal was complete.

What I did to confirm my hypothesis was to program the motion profile to only allow the piston to retract to within 1/16th of an inch of fully retracted. This still allows ejection of the part and insertion of a new charge, but keeps the piston from contacting the cap and sealing off the port. The cylinder functions perfectly this way, but its not my desired long term fix. Eventually I'll have to pull down the cylinder and machine the piston surface.

Last edited:
Alaric said:
AW hell! You and Peter are no fun at all. 🍺 I was hoping to have this turn into a good brainteaser.
Alaric, I better be able to solve these kinds of problems easily.
Mentioning the one inch port was sort of a clue because normally that isn't relevant. Anyway, if you read my [rants] on the hydraulic forum I make it very clear that force make it go. Not flow or pressure. Obviously there wasn't enough force.

It will be interesting to see how hydraulic forums do with it.

Peter Nachtwey said:
Alaric, I better be able to solve these kinds of problems easily.

I wouldn't have expected anything less from you. And thank you for your input, even if you did spoil the party early. 🍻

While I presented it as a kind of a brainteaser, I was also looking to see if the forum reached the same conclusion I had as confirmation that I was on the right track.