RsView32 working with Tags from RsLogix5000.

HoldenC

We have a computer that runs a RView32 program. I was recently asked to add a few rungs to help our facility and update our screen from RsView32.

I had to add some new tags. I added them as Program tags by adding the instruction, and right clicking and selecting new tag.

After i finished the new rungs, I tried to put a couple buttons on our RsView32 screen, but i cant seem to find the tags that I created. I can see the tags that were created previously, however they are Processor tags.

Can anyone offer any help ?

I did this some time ago, If my memory serves me right (not that it's very good) you can import them, I can't remember how to do it but it was quite simple and the old RSV32 has been replaced.

The problem might be the version of RSLinx Classic that is serving data to RSView32. This goes back far enough that memories are going to be hazy.

First, the usual set of questions: what version of RSView32 ? What version of RSLinx Classic ? What version of ControlLogix firmware ?

My recollection is that RSView32 used RSLinx Classic as an OPC Data Server when it needed to talk to ControlLogix. The first times I did it, I remember that only Controller-scope tags could be browsed and read/written.

The simple fix is to cut/paste the tags (while offline) between the Program-scope database and the Controller-scope database in RSLogix 5000. All the references to the tags will point to the new instances in the Controller scope (be sure to Cut, not Copy).

I know how to do this with Direct References and HMI Tags in FTView Studio, but don't remember all the specifics with RSView32.

The versions are as follows.

RsView32 Works 1500 V7.5
RsLinx Classic 2.57
RsLogix 5000 V.17

All my tags are now Controller tags. I went into RsLinx and updated OPC tags since its set up that way. Still, they are not showing up when trying to select a tag for a button.

I never have this issue with FTV.

When I work in FTV, there is button to refresh tags, but i cant find that option in RsView.

RsLinx is being used as an OPC server, but Im not sure if my problem lies there, or in RsView. RsView states that tags are refreshed whenever a upload or download is recorded.

I finally got this fixed. Ill share in case anyone has this problem.

The reason the tags weren't updating is because RsView had reached its tag limit. When i tired to manual import the tags I wanted, i was informed I was over my limit.

I was able to go in to RsView and delete several tags that werent used by the program.

RsView had reached its tag limit

Ah; easy to forget, and easy to overlook the message.

RSView32 licenses were based on tag count, while FactoryTalk View switched to Display Count.

I am working on a very old RSView SE system with the smallest Standalone license for 25 Displays; it has 24 displays created and the client is being (characteristically) stubborn about paying for a bigger license. They've only been out of support for 11 years !