Passing Tags between 2 Redlion HMIs

UKB

Hello,

IS there a driver in the redlion HMI to browse the tag database of another redlion HMI?

Best Regards

Which Red Lion HMIs are you using; G3 (Crimson 3.0) or Graphite (Crimson 3.1) ?

I have not used this feature before.

My understanding is that Red Lion HMIs can exchange data with one another via the OPC Server feature; you enable the OPC Server on the HMI that will be providing data, and configure an OPC Client on the HMI that will be requesting it.

But the feature is not (in my opinion) well documented. I found one technote about it that describes and shows screenshots from Crimson 2: TNOI28.

My copy of Crimson 3.0 has an "OPC Proxy" feature in the Services section, which I thought was meant to link up to OPCWorx client software on a PC.

Maybe it's just as easy as enabling the OPC Proxy on one G3, then pointing the OPC Client on the other PC to it, and doing an Export/Import with the associated tags.

There are a handful of very experienced Red Lion users on the Forum, so hopefully we get some input from them.

Thanks for the link !

Last night I found a YouTube tutorial on the topic, from a former PLCTalk forum member who uses the username Joe WaZoo. Search for "Red Lion OPC" and you'll find it.

Looks pretty straightforward.

Waking this thread back up for some help on this subject. What is the difference between the OPCWorx Proxy (which seems to be legacy), and the OPC UA Server? From what I gather, both can be used to share data between redlion devices, but the opc ua seems to be a more current standard for directly sharing data amongst devices and scadas without any other software. The OPC UA data tags are automatically discovered from the device over the network, similar to a BACnet network.

I've been developing hmi's using graphites at the machine level for quite some time and am now developing a supervisory hmi. What direction would one want to go in for this? My end goal is to have an "off the shelf" product with one supervisory level configuration that doesn't have to be linked to each HMI on the test bench before shipping out the entire system. If I want to add another HMI at the machine level by the end user in the field, do those tags need to be linked at the supervisory configuration specifically for that device? Other than the obvious IP address, is there some sort of unique identifier (e.g.: a mac address or some other info specific to the single HMI) that would require the exact new device be present on the network when adding those tags?

Hope that makes sense.

This question is likely worthy of an independent thread.

I think you're describing an supervisory level HMI/SCADA system that uses OPC-UA Servers as its data source, and that you want to be able to plug in a machine with a Red Lion Graphite device, and just designate its credentials.

Will your upper-level system also be a Red Lion Graphite, or something else ?

Add that into a new thread.