how to control SLC 500 via internet website??

a long time ago somewhere on here, i saw a post about how you can control your plc over the internet. i looked through it and someone posted a tutorial about how to use your own custom website (or something like that) to remotely monitor plc input data and i think control the PLC outputs, by putting some XML file in the program folder.

does anyone recognise what i'm talking about and if you do can you link to the tutorial??

i have an SLC-5/03

It would be easier for a 5/05, but with a 5/03 first you would need a gateway to get your 5/03 on the network (Ethernet) then you could use a VPN to get your PC also on the network this would be a local Intranet... this would get you connected to your PLC, you still may want to have a local PC there running a HMI if this was the case you could VPN directly into your HMI/SCADA

It may easier if you let us know what you are trying to do...

And welcome to PLCTalk 🍻

Also if you have a running PC on your network (with the correct software) you could use a free software

EDIT: This is the remote viewer I use but you need to have a PC running at the location you want to connect to https://www.remoteutilities.com/

Last edited:
I would use extreme caution. you need to have firewalls in place to prevent outside hackers from gaining access to your plant network.
you also need to run this by your IT department to see if it is even possible.
We (I am in the IT department) have multiple firewall and security measures in place for outside remote access to plant plc's.

james