SLC to MLX DF1 MSG

Oceansoul

Is it possible to create MSG in SLC to read data from a mircologix 1000 via serial DF1?
I have Micrologix 1000 and SLC5/04, the serial port on both micro and SLC are set the same 9600 etc and i am using 1761-CBL-PM02.
I have a MSG set up to SLC typed read in the SLC controller using CH0. The micro address is 1 and this is what the MSG target address is.

I dont know if this is correct cable to use, or if it is even possible to do MSG to a MLX1000.

Yes you can message to and from any MicroLogix PLC from any other AB PLC including a SLC5/04. The PM02 cable should be the correct cable as well. Having said that you need to make sure that both PLC's are set to DF-1 Full Duplex or that the SLC is a DF-1 Half Duplex Master and the MicroLogix is a DF-1 Half Duplex Slave. Full Duplex will be easier and is the default configuration. Having said that the MicroLogix may be in DH-485 mode. They default to DH485 but should auto switch to DF-1 when they see it on the comm port. I would setup RSLinx with a DF-1 Full Duplex driver, connect it to the MicroLogix (using the PM02 cable) and select "Auto-Configure" and see if it finds the MicroLogix. If it does it will show you how the port is configured. You will need to use an actual serial port for the Auto-Configure to work. If you have a USB to Serial adapter, try the Auto-Configure feature and if it doesn't work, configure the driver with how you think the MicroLogix is configured and see if it connects (the Auto-Configure may not work with a USB to Serial adapter). Once you can connect to the MicroLogix, go in with RSLogix 500 and set the port to DF-1 if it's not already there. This is how the port will be configured when the unit powers up. They are suppose to auto switch but that doesn't always work very well so setting it to DF-1 will force it to start with DF-1 when it powers up.

It should definitely be possible. The SLC and the MicroLogix use the same DF1 command set, the same serial port default settings, and the same data table addressing syntax.

MicroLogix 1000 cannot initiate messages, so of course you've got it set up correctly with the SLC sending the MSG with the SLC Typed Read command.

1761-CBL-PM02 should be the correct inter-controller connection.

Unless the MicroLogix 1000 serial port is set up for DH485 protocol (you say it is not) then this should work. 19200 is the default data rate for DF1 Full Duplex.

Do you get any Ch0 LED activity when you trigger this message ?

Have you ever used DF1->DH+ passthrough on the SLC-5/04 ? It's remotely possible that the source/destination addresses are misconfigured and that the SLC-5/04 is sending the reply message out over DH+ instead of processing that reply itself.

If you can get a screenshot or details, especially an error message when you execute the MSG instruction, those will help diagnose the problem.

Back in the office today, and I have managed to get this working. Followed all the advice above, and everything did look alright. Only thing I changed was the DF1 station address in the SLC. It was 2. It's now 0. The MLX is DF1 address 1. I shouldn't have thought that be a problem, but perhaps on a system with just two nodes on DF1 full duplex, must be 0 & 1.