4-20ma scaling and Vfd to HMI Scaling

mavrick

Hello,
I have looked through the archives and haven't had any luck on the basics of scaling. I'm trying to refresh myself and what formulas I can use to scale inputs and output's. Anything from HMI controls for vfd's. To level indicators ,computing pump speeds to a HMI, etc. I can do most of my scaling needs in the Analog card itself , but I still would like to have information to read through. Do you have any recommended text books or websites? Any thing would help. Thx

Hi, Mavrick
I don't have too many thoughts on books or websites, but I have done a lot of programs this last 2 years that required a LOT of scaling. The very first reference I used was another rs5K program, and the person that wrote it used a function block routine for scaling. The analog I/O had the proper limits, current or voltage ranges, but then he used a SCL instruction with the input and output blocks for the scaling.
At first I was a little leery of it because I'd never used it or seen it, but I've really gotten to like it and I'm really used to it now. I have like 24 analog I/O in one of my programs and it works good. Easy to change on the fly. Looks nicer than big CPT blocks on a rung. Hope this helps.

Scaling.PNG

I wish had function block abilities but unfortunately I only have ladder logic. Thank you for the info.

Mavrick
Add a routine, like I call mine "Scaling" and in the drop down, pick FBD (function block) when you create the routine. It usually defaults to "ladder" but you can change this, and I think get ST also. Hope this helps.

Routine.PNG

If you have only the LAD editor go to Rockwell's Sample Code Library,search for 'SCP' and download the AOI to your PC; Import the AOI into your project, add the AOI to your code and then you'll be able to Scale with Parameters in LAD editor.

Mickey, thanks for the spreadsheet.

Your welcome. The chart is not mine, I dowloaded it from this site.

See below for credit.

[B said:
John Soltesz[/B];283466]That's me. Check the Excel file properties.
I use it for calibration checking charts when I have the techs install instruments. What is handy is the PLC counts. If you are looking at the raw value in a register just check the chart. Or don't have a MA meter but have a voltmeter to check the loop and it has a 250 ohm resistor check volts in the chart. I carry a pencil type VOM and a 250 ohm resistor for quick checks. I also have a version of the Excel chart running on my pocket PC.

If I was wanting to control a valve or motor from a HMI screen Ex. Open a valve to 65% or operate a pump at 35%. Is there a good formula/standard to use for that application?