Future of the AB MicroLogix and RS Logix 500 ?

lfe - You may be a little misinformed.

I use the Micro820 in our "Ignition Scada" we have 100's of Micro820 setup as "MQTT" edge of network devices, they are across 7 states.

I use Modbus/TCP at each edge communicating with all kinds of devices((reading and writing arrays of 125) with a single command)) and then all that data is published back to my MQTT Distributor running alongside Ignition.

I read and write to all my tags (You are correct about the "User Defined Datatypes" unless you have the developer edition of CCW then you can even create you own just like Studio-5000)

With Ignition Scada, Micro800 and SQL Database along with MQTT, I have found nothing that can even come close to what this combination offers. (And it's all based around the Micro800 series Plc).

So just to be fair, I want other's to know the Micro800 works and works well if you choose the correct application.

I can’t see 5/05 CPUs doing anything less than 10 years. There’s so much SLC stuff about - I think we have circa 1000 CPUs in one company alone. We’re upgrading the 5/03 & 4 stuff to Ethernet 5/05 as we see those DH+ / 485 units having a limited life cycle. RA told us that 5/05s were being supported for at least another 10 years.

I wouldn’t install any new systems in SLC though.

Andy

I used to hate the Micro 800's however I've been using them now for a couple of years and I've seen a dramatic improvement in CCW and I'm finding them much easier to use.

Typical AB product.... “If you eat a sh@t sandwich long enough, you end up saying “Awww, this sh@t’s not so bad.”

Typical AB product.... “If you eat a sh@t sandwich long enough, you end up saying “Awww, this sh@t’s not so bad.”

Nah, Micrologix 1400 is such a winner product, small, cheap, flexible , fast & powerful and yet expandable to handle bigger jobs, plus it can run modbus as well.

Last edited:
Nah, Micrologix 1400 is such a winner product, small, flexible , fast & powerful and yet expandable to handle bigger jobs, plus it can run modbus as well.

Yes, the 1400 is one of the best PLCs out there. Hardware, software, etc.

It just sucks that they are being priced up so much.

New with warranty? Any links?

No.

I was looking a week or two ago after talking with someone who claimed he was getting them around $300. They are out there on Ebay, etc for that price but I had them quoted from my rockwell dealer and they were easily double that.

I cant beat 300 but I have them for under 400 with the plctalk.net discount

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-micrologix-1400-1766-l32bwa-c-1766l32bwa/

We are not authorized (Rockwell) dealer but I do have a warranty... but that said I have never had any returned
That's an awesome price, I must say. If you don't mind me asking, how do you get them if you're not an official Rockwell distributor? I thought they were strictly territorial to remove competition?

I get them anyplace I can... if the price is right, new or used I am a buyer, if I can provide a product to a customer so they can save a few bucks and I can make a few its a win win for us both... dont get me wrong, Rockwell doesn't even know I exist, I am so small im not even a blip on their radar or any of their authorised distributors.

They are out there on Ebay,

Caution buying from ebay, there are a few great sellers on there and there are many that are rip offs, click on their name and make sure they are not from China unless you know them, there are a lot of China sellers that are repacking old equipment and selling them as new, you maybe buying a series A and it has a few thousand cycles, I bought a HSC the box had a date of 2017, when I opened the box the card had a date of 1746 o_O I also bought a couple L33er that had the same serial number, just make sure the seller is will to stand behind the product they are selling and its not just automation parts.

I get them anyplace I can... if the price is right, new or used I am a buyer, if I can provide a product to a customer so they can save a few bucks and I can make a few its a win win for us both... dont get me wrong, Rockwell doesn't even know I exist, I am so small im not even a blip on their radar or any of their authorised distributors.

Awesome- good to have another option out there that's not raising the price to steer us towards something else. Also, yeah it must be an easy product to offer your own warranty on. I've yet to see one fail in any way, including some mounted vertically in unventilated SS enclosures with the sun baking on them, WITH the "Remove after installation" debris stickers still on for years!

To be honest dogleg, your comment is a little insulting. I've been customer service advocate in the automation industry for over 20 years and have come across a wide swath of different types of PLC's and varying levels of quality and capabilities so I'm not just some guy who has gotten complacent with the Micro 800's. Rockwell made a colossal mistake when they released the Micro's mainly because they weren't ready. They had very little documentation on how to do some of the most basic stuff and were nowhere near ready to support them. On the software side of things, CCW was garbage at best. Not only was it difficult to use but it wasn't even close to stable. However, all aspects of the Micro 800 line, including CCW have gotten much better. For what you pay, they are capable and flexible. CCW is almost a completely different software package and version 12 is the best yet.
Now, if you want to compare the Micro's and CCW to Logix PAC's and Studio software then it's not even close. The Logix PAC's are far superior in all aspects and Studio 5000 is a very refined and powerful software package. But you pay for the difference. The Micro's aren't designed to compete with them and to some degree they aren't designed to compete with the SLC's and MicroLogix PLC's either. Much of those abilities are meant to be done with CompactLogix processors. Rockwell made a "shift" in coverage and the Micro 800's are at the low end of the PLC/PAC scale.
So, if you want to call them Sh@t, so be it, but I for one don't think you're being objective, just stubborn.