RSView32 Tips and Tricks: Backdoor tag creation on runtime package

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm sure that many RSView users have had this problem.

You develop an application using RSView32 Works. The application is deployed on a machine under RSView32 Runtime. Later on it is necessary to add a single alarm or some other tag to the equipment, but you can't shut down the process or take the machine offline long enough to update the RSView32 project.

Well, there is a simple trick to add a tag in RSView32 Runtime while the app is running without using RSView Works and without resorting to VBA.

Press CTRL-ALT-P to open the project window. Open the command line (System->Command Line) and click on the elipses (...) button to open the command wizard. Pick any command that requires a tag argument (AckAlarm, Set, etc). Browse for a tag name. When the tag dialog box opens navigate to the folder where you want to place the tag. Select a tag to edit, or click new tag and configure the tag as well as any alarms. After you are done the command line will contain a command string. Delete it if you don't want it to be executed and close the Command Line window.

Very slick, Alaric. I have saved this in my Allen Bradly TIPS file, with a credit line to you, of course!

Interesting trick Aleric. I will have to try it the next time I am on one of our RSView Machines. I have also saved the text. Thanks.

Stu....